Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

LSC report: Rovers 2-0 Accrington Stanley

Two penalties do the damage as Rovers secure their place in the hat for round two of the Lancashire Senior Cup

10 September 2019

Sponsored by

A pair of penalties ensured Rovers booked their place in the second round of the Lancashire Senior Cup with victory over Accrington Stanley at Leyland.

Rovers had the majority of the ball under the lights, with Dominic Samuel's spot kick securing a deserved advantage at the break against the League One opponents.

That lead was doubled midway through the second 45 minutes after Danny Graham proved to be spot on from 12 yards, and that was enough to send Rovers through.

A strong squad was named by Billy Barr, with Sam Hart, Ryan Nyambe, Harry Chapman, Samuel and Graham all starting the encounter.

For the visitors, ex-Rover Okera Simmonds led the line up front, whilst the experienced duo of Phil Edwards and Sean McConville began the game.

It was a lively start to the game from both teams, with Stefan Mols' goalbound shot being blocked by Dominic Samuel, before Simmonds forced Joe Hilton into a smart save in the opening two minutes.

Rovers were having the majority of the ball and deservedly took the lead from the spot just before the half hour mark.

An expert pass from Chapman found Samuel, who was brought down in the box by visiting goalkeeper Toby Savin.

The frontman dusted himself down before calmy sending the stopper the wrong way and put the hosts 1-0 up.

It was almost 2-0 a moment later, but after a lovely touch on his chest by Joe Rankin-Costello, the 20-year-old volleyed just past Savin's left-hand post.

At the other end, Hilton did well to beat away a Simmonds strike from an acute angle just a couple of minutes before the interval.

Both sides were quick out of the blocks at the beginning of the second half, with Samuel seeing his strike saved well by Savin prior to Hilton terrificly denying Simmonds from close range with his feet.

Chapman's attempted curler was excellent stopped by Savin as Rovers looked for a second of the night just before the hour.

Stanley's Edwards was next to be denied by Hilton, who was in the right place at the right time to stop the snapshot after Hart's attempted clearance fell the Accrington defender's way in the box.

Like the first half, it took 29 minutes of the second 45 minutes for Rovers to be awarded another penalty.

Rankin-Costello was caught in the box by Edwards, which allowed Graham the opportunity to stroll up and sent Savin the wrong way to double Rovers' advantage.

Stanley searched for a route back into the game, but the closest John Coleman's side came was when McConville rifled into the side netting with just a few minutes left.

Rovers: Hilton, Nyambe, Doyle, Grayson (c), Hart, Mols, Lyons (White, 85), Rankin-Costello, Chapman, Samuel, Graham.

Unused substitutes: Eastham, Jackson, Barnes, Brennan.

Goals: Samuel pen, 29, Graham pen, 74.

Booked: White, 89.

Accrington Stanley: Savin, Doyle, Maguire, Edwards, Rodgers, Kaba Sherif, Carvalho, Diallo, Simpson (Scott, 80), Simmonds, McConville (c).

Unused substitutes: Isherwood, Bolton, Martin, Williams, Gilboy.

Referee: Leigh Doughty.

Advertisement block