Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

We shot ourselves in the foot

It was a sobering afternoon for Rovers in west London against Queens Park Rangers

5 October 2019

Sponsored by

Tony Mowbray was left reflecting on a sobering afternoon for his side as Rovers were dismantled against Queens Park Rangers on Saturday afternoon.

Although Bradley Dack and Adam Armstrong both got themselves on the scoresheet at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium, QPR hit four, with Nahki Wells, Ebe Eze, Bright Osayi-Samuel and Jordan Hugill all finding the net for the hosts.

Rovers weren't at the races throughout, in truth, lacking an attacking spark and also looking short at the other end as Mark Warburton's side ran out comfortable winners on home soil.

It's been a week of frustration for Rovers, and Mowbray admitted that he was left irritated by his team's failure to get the basics right against the Londoners.

“It was a game that was there for us to win but we shot ourselves in the foot and defensively were really poor," he confessed to iFollow Rovers after the game.

“We were exposed, particularly in the second half. I have to take the blame a little bit because I changed the team in the second half to make us more attacking, purely because I couldn’t see us scoring a goal. Did we have a shot in the first half?

“We left our defenders exposed and they couldn’t deal with what QPR threw at us, which disappointed me.

“If you’re going to be a top defender then you have to deal when man-to-man. We didn’t deal with that well enough.

“The bottom line is that you need to gamble and play braver football when your team needs a goal, not protect things.

“We did that but got found out today. That’s the frustration for us, and as we move on the players know they do need to be better defensively and individually."

It was a shot-shy first half for the visitors, with Mowbray changing things up at the break by bringing on Lewis Holtby for Danny Graham.

And although things worked better at the top of the pitch, defensively it left Rovers open.

“I had to decide at half time whether we were going to have a stodgy display for 90 minutes or whether we’d try and open the game up," he added.

“Unfortunately our defenders couldn’t see them off and that’s the picture of the game, in my mind. We left ourselves too open and paid the price."

Advertisement block