Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Rovers 2-1 Sheffield Wednesday

Tony Mowbray's men produce a tremendous fightback to pick up the points in a dramatic finale at Ewood

2 November 2019

Sponsored by

Rovers produced a tremendous fightback to come back from a goal down to defeat high-flying Sheffield Wednesday at Ewood Park.

All the action came in the last 10 minutes, with John Buckley the hero in the final minute of time to bag his first senior goal and earn the three points.

It came after Tosin Adarabioyo's header had levelled things up after Jacob Murphy looked like he'd won the game with seven minutes remaining.

It was like the Rovers of old, showing the never-say-die attitude and togetherness to get the three points on the board, with pandemonium ensuing after Buckley's winner.

Tony Mowbray made three changes to his team for the clash against Garry Monk's high-flying Owls, with Stewart Downing, Lewis Travis and Lewis Holtby all returning to the starting XI.

Joe Rothwell, Corry Evans and Amari'i Bell were the trio who dropped to the bench from the team that started last week's derby clash with Preston North End.

Rovers started well and Sam Gallagher, fresh from scoring a brace last weekend, tested Keiran Westwood with a powerful header from a Downing cross that the veteran Wednesday stopper was forced to turn behind for a corner.

At the other end, Christian Walton made a fine reaction stop to deny Kadeem Harris' stinging drive from an acute angle after the winger cut in from the left flank.

Rovers were thankful for Tosin Adarabioyo being in the right place at the right time to hook behind Dominic Iorfa's header after the tall defender snuck in to get on the end of a deep Joey Pelupessy free kick on the half hour mark as the clean sheet remained intact for both sides.

Chances were few and far between in what was a solid first half display from Rovers in the Lancashire drizzle, with the sides going into the break all square.

Rovers raced out of the traps and came close to taking the lead just four minutes into the second half. Great play from Holtby and Gallagher eventually ended up with Adam Armstrong's cross-shot being blocked before Travis' follow up was bravely blocked by Westwood.

Westwood kept Wednesday in the game midway through the half when he tipped over a foreceful header from substitute Joe Rothwell after Armstrong found him in the box.

Monk's men were offering very little going forward, but Walton was kept busy by the dangerous Harris, whose effort had to be tipped away by the goalkeeper, with the ball just evading the lurking Steven Fletcher with time ticking away.

Big Bosnian Atdhe Nuhiu was thrown into the action and he headed a Kieran Lee cross comfortably over the upright as the deadlock remained unbroken going into the final 10 minutes.

But with seven minutes remaining the opener did arrive and it came with just seven minutes remaining through substitute Murphy.

Morgan Fox's cross took a deflection, was flicked off the crossbar by Fletcher and Murphy was there to simply nod into the back of the net from just a yard out.

It was a hammer blow for Rovers, who really didn't deserve to be losing, and they responded in the perfect manner through Adarabioyo's perfect header.

The big man got on the end of a deep free kick from Elliott Bennett to nod back across goal, over Westwood and into the back of the net.

But Mowbray's men weren't done and another of Mowbray's substitutes in Buckley was the man who bagged the winner in dramatic circumstances in the final minute of the game, with his effort taking a deflection, wrong-footing Westwood and nestling in the back of the net to cause bedlam at Ewood.

It wouldn't have been Rovers without putting supporters through the ringer and the hosts were fortunate for Walton's left-hand post to deny Fernando Forestieri at the death before Walton produced an unbelievable stop to tip away Sam Hutchinson's goalbound strike and secure the points for Rovers.

And breathe!

Rovers: Walton, Bennett (c), Nyambe, Adarabioyo, Williams, Downing (Buckley, 87), Travis, Armstrong, Dack, Holtby (Rothwell, 67), Gallagher (Graham, 64).

Unused substitutes: Leutwiler, Johnson, Evans, Bell, Buckley.

Goal: Adarabioyo, 88, Buckley, 90.

Sheffield Wednesday: Westwood, Palmer, Fox, Lee, Harris (Nuhiu, 78), Pelupessy (Forestieri, 61), Fletcher, Borner, Reach (Murphy, 70), Hutchinson (c), Iorfa

Unused substitutes: Dawson, Winnall, Odubajo, Hunt.

Goal: Murphy, 83

Referee: Andy Woolmer.

Attendance: 14,147 (2,889 away).

Advertisement block