Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Millwall 0 Rovers 2

Rovers produce late double to earn crucial three points in south London against the Lions!

12 January 2019

Sponsored by

Two late, late goals earned all three points for Rovers at Millwall after a resolute performance from Tony Mowbray's side in the capital.

Substitute Adam Armstrong did the damage in the final five minutes, as he assisted Joe Nuttall for the first goal before grabbing one for himself just a minute or two later to make the game safe.

It was a pretty horrid game, which came to life in the late stages, which sent the travelling hundreds back to East Lancashire in buoyant mood.

A draw would have probably been the fairest result, but Mowbray's men won't care as they move closer to the Championship play-off places.

Charlie Mulgrew missed out on the squad with a hamstring injury picked up at Newcastle United last weekend, with Jack Rodwell coming in to replace the skipper in defence.

Harrison Reed returned to the team in place of Armstrong, who was available off the bench if needed, whilst Joe Nuttall made his first league start since August, as he came in, in place of Danny Graham.

The home side were dealt a blow early on when Tom Elliott had to be replaced by veteran Steve Morison after only three minutes.

In truth, it was a half of very few chances, so much so that there were in fact no opportunities for either side, with neither David Raya or Jordan Archer tested.

We did, however, see original referee Robert Jones head off with an injury midway through the first 45 minutes, with fourth official Gavin Ward taking the whistle.

Mowbray replaced Corry Evans with Ryan Nyambe at the break, which resulted in Elliott Bennett switching to the left side and Reed taking up a spot in central midfield.

We finally did see a shot on target on the hour mark when Ryan Leonard's thumping volley forced Raya to beat the drive away and Shane Ferguson was offside when the ball came his way.

At the other end, the returning Rodwell had a great chance to open the scoring, but he could only head Reed's corner over at the front post.

With 13 minutes remaining, Raya did well to hold onto a strong shot from Mahlon Romeo after a neat tee up from substitute Lee Gregory, as the hosts searched for what could well have been the match-winner.

It was a poor game, an absolute stinker, but with five minutes remaining, good work from Armstrong down the left saw his low cross flick into the back of the net off the face of Nuttall.

Things got better just a moment later, when Bennett threaded a pass into the path of Armstrong, who cut inside and curled past Archer and into the back of the net to wrap things up for Rovers and continue the fine start to 2019.

Millwall: Archer, Meredith (Williams, 87), Hutchinson (c), Cooper, Wallace, Ferguson, Romeo, Tunnicliffe, Elliott (Morison, 3), O'Brien (Gregory, 68), Leonard.

Unused substitutes: Martin,Thompson, Pearce, Wallace.

Rovers: Raya, Bennett (c), Rodwell, Lenihan, Bell, Travis, Evans (Nyambe, 46), Reed, Dack (Armstrong, 74), Conway (Graham, 64), Nuttall.

Unused substitutes: Leutwiler, Rothwell, Brereton, Butterworth.

Goals: Nuttall, 85, Armstrong, 87

Referee: Robert Jones (Gavin Ward).

Advertisement block