Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Rovers 2 Ipswich Town 0

It's now three wins on the bounce in the Championship for Rovers, who continue their sensational start to 2019

19 January 2019

Sponsored by

Second half goals from Danny Graham and Joe Nuttall earned all three points for Rovers against Ipswich Town to rise into the top half of the Championship table.

Following a goalless first half, Graham slotted home a penalty in the second 45 minutes before substitute Nuttall made an instant impact off the bench to seal the points for an upwardly mobile Rovers.

It's now three wins on the bounce in the league for Rovers, and a second successive clean sheet for the team following the deserved victory at Ewood Park.

Jack Rodwell, Corry Evans and Bradley Dack all returned to the XI for the clash against the Tractor Boys, with Ryan Nyambe, Richie Smallwood and Ben Brereton all dropping to the bench.

Rovers started the game well, and good pressing from Lewis Travis saw the youngster rob Cole Skuse and set up Graham in the box, but good defending from the Ipswich saw a block come in on the forward's strike and the chance was gone.

Midway through the half and another chance came Rovers' way after a cute pass from Dack found captain for the day Elliott Bennett, but the former Norwich man could only blaze high and wide after rampaging forward from right back.

A moment later and Dack's free kick whistled just past Dean Gerken's right-hand post, before Rodwell clipped the post after getting a tough on Evans' volley.

Soon after and lovely play from Harrison Reed and Lewis Travis opened things up for Adam Armstrong, whose curling effort was beaten behind by Gerken.

The visitors were struggling to create chances, but with seven minutes of the half remaining it was Will Keane who went through on goal after breaking the offside trap.

The loanee skipper past David Raya, but he was sent wide and eventually the danger was cleared and the score remained 0-0.

Rovers had largely bossed the first 45 minutes, and did have the chances, but went into the break with nothing to show for their efforts.

Opportunity knocked for Joe Rothwell at half time, with the former Oxford United midfielder entering the action in place of Reed.

Rovers continued to have the majority of the ball and eventually found the breakthrough from the spot after Armstrong was tugged back by Callum Elder in the box.

With no Charlie Mulgrew, up stepped Graham, who calmly slotted home his 10th of the season in all competitions and his third goal in his last three games against Ipswich.

A moment later and Rothwell almost made it 2-0, but after skipping past Matthew Pennington, his left footed strike crashed against the right-hand post and away from danger.

The visitors looked for a response, and Raya's handling had to be right to grab a looping Luke Chambers header with just over 20 minutes of the contest remaining.

But the game was pretty much wrapped up with 16 minutes left as substitute Nuttall made an instant impact off the bench; slotting home just seconds after coming on after Bennett's sensational pass found Armstrong down the right.

Rovers weren't done, and after seeing Graham and Nuttall find the net, Dack wanted a slice of the action. but after cutting inside, his left-footed effort fizzed inches past the post.

The playmaker went close again a few minutes later, but after picking up the ball, he curled a 25 yard effort just past Gerken's post.

In the end, 2-0 was enough as Mowbray's men professionally saw the game out to earn a deserved victory against Town.

Rovers: Raya, Bennett (c), Lenihan, Rodwell, Bell, Evans (Smallwood, 82), Travis, Reed (Rothwell, 46), Dack, Armstrong, Graham (Nuttall, 74).

Unused substitutes: Leutwiler, Nyambe, Brereton, Conway.

Goal: Graham pen, 65, Nuttall, 74

Booked: Lenihan, 68, Nuttall, 76

Ipswich Town: Gerken, Chambers (c), Pennington, Chalobah, Skuse, Keane, Sears (BIshop, 82), Elder, Judge, Collins, Quaner (Lankester, 67).

Unused substitutes: Bialkowski, Downes, Nsiala, Kenlock, Dawkins.

Booked: Chambers, 64

Referee: Darren England.

Attendance: 12,762 (562 away)

Advertisement block