Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Rovers 3 Hull City 0

Complete performance earns yet another three points for Rovers, who make it four wins on the spin in the Championship

26 January 2019

Sponsored by

Rovers produced arguably their best performance of the season to dismantle an in form Hull City and end the Tigers 10-game unbeaten league run in sensational style.

Two first half goals from Adam Armstrong and Jack Rodwell gave Rovers a dream start at Ewood Park, before a lovely finish from Harrison Reed completed a faultless game for the hosts.

The win catapults Rovers right into play-off contention, and we're now just three points off the Championship play-off places with a fourth consecutive victory in the league and a third successive shutout.

Tony Mowbray named an unchanged side from last week's win against Ipswich Town, which meant Rodwell continued to partner Darragh Lenihan at the heart of the Rovers defence, with the team aiming for a third successive clean sheet. David Raya made his 100th league start in goal.

Rovers began the game excellently, and within the opening 10 minutes the hosts took the lead through the in form Armstrong.

A superbly weighted ball from Bradley Dack saw Armstrong sneak in behind former Rovers loanee Todd Kane, steady himself and then tuck the ball beyond David Marshall in the visiting goal.

Rovers were in confident mood and skipper Elliott Bennett almost made it 2-0 doon after but saw his strike deflect just over the upright.

But from the resulting corner the home side did add a second of the day as Reed's inswinging corner was nodded into the back of the net by Rodwell, for his first goal for the club.

It was a dream start for Mowbray's men, who deserved their advantage for a dominant first part of the game.

The momentum continued, with the partnership of Corry Evans and Lewis Travis bossing the midfield, and Rovers could have had more goals.

With a few minutes to go until the break the visitors were dealt a further blow when Ondrej Mazuch was forced off through injury and the experienced Eric Lichaj replaced the Czech centre back.

There was still time for Hull to finally test Raya when Kamil Grosicki's free kick was claimed by the Spanish stopper in first half injury time.

A second Tigers change came in time for the start of the second half as Fraizer Campbell entered the action in place of the ineffective Evandro.

Rovers continued to probe, and a driving run from Travis saw him skip past three oponents and dinking the bakk up to Darragh Lenihan, whose header looped onto the roof of Marshall's goal.

Just after the hour mark and the in form Jarrod Bowen tested Raya with a low drive as the Tigers continued to struggle to create chances, whilst at the other end, Danny Graham clanged a shot from the angle against the post.

The third goal was going to be crucial in the game, and it was Rovers who earned it as Reed brilliantly dinked the ball over Marshall from close range after the Scottish 'keeper could only parry an Armstrong shot into his path.

It was delightful from the loanee, and it didn't take long for the stadium to boom out the famous chant for the Rovers number 4.

And speaking of 4, that was exactly the number of goals that Rovers were hunting down, with substitute Joe Rothwell going close to adding to the tally soon after coming on, but after driving at the Hull backline, the playmaker could only curl over the bar.

Rovers comfortably saw the game out to complete a league double over Hull and continue their charge up the Championship table in emphatic style.

Rovers: Raya, Bennett (c), Rodwell, Lenihan, Bell, Evans, Travis, Reed (Conway, 81), Dack, Armstrong (Rothwell, 81), Graham (Nuttall, 74).

Unused substitutes: Leutwiler, Williams, Smallwood, Brereton.

Goals: Armstrong, 10, Rodwell, 18, Reed, 73

Booked: Rodwell, 86

Hull City: Marshall, Mazuch (Lichaj, 43), Stewart, Evandro (Campbell, 46), Grosicki, Kane, Bowen, Henriksen (c), Kingsley, McKenzie, Martin.

Unused substitutes: Long, Pugh, Milinkovic, Batty, Ritson.

Booked: Grosicki, 64

Referee: Jeremy Simpson.

Attendance:  13,589 (1,259 away)

Advertisement block