Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Report: Huddersfield Town Ladies 3 Rovers Ladies 4

Gemma Donnelly’s side have now scored 101 goals in all competitions

13 January 2019

Sponsored by

Rovers Ladies came out on top in the battle of the top two, winning a thrilling encounter 4-3 away to Huddersfield Town Ladies at the Stafflex Arena.

Natasha Flint opened the scoring and Saffron Jordan doubled Rovers' lead mid-way through the first-half. 

Huddersfield drew level with two quick-fire goals before the break. Kate Mallin scored from the spot and then Laura Elford netted the equaliser. 

But Rovers roared back in the second-half with Lynda Shepherd and Jess Holbrook securing victory. 

Brittany Sanderson grabbed a third for the home side late on, but by that time the points were already heading back to Lancashire.  

The Blues made the perfect start less than two minutes in, when Flint picked up the ball 25 yards from goal and smashed it into the bottom corner for her 27th goal of the season. 

It could have been two soon after when Jordan capitalised on a defensive error, but couldn’t pick out anyone in the box. 

Jordan caused more problems when she took on two players and got to the byline to cross for Flint, whose shot was saved by Charlotte Oakes.  

At the other end Huddersfield showed their attacking prowess as Sanderson looped an inviting cross for Katie Nutter to meet, but Danielle Gibbons pulled off a fantastic point-blank save to deny her the equaliser.

Flint continued to show her quality, chesting down debutant Serena Fletcher’s free-kick and striking, only for the post to deny her a brace. 

Rovers’ advantage was doubled when her striker partner Jordan took aim from 25 yards out and was rewarded with her 25th goal of the season. The ball nestling into the bottom corner out of Oakes’ reach. 

The Terriers began their fight-back when Fletcher was adjudged to have handled a shot in the area. Huddersfield captain Mallin stepped up and sent Gibbons the wrong way to convert the spot-kick. 

That goal gave the home side confidence, and they soon would be level courtesy of Elford’s looping effort. The striker picked up the loose ball and lobbed Gibbons.  

Chances were few and far between in the second-half, but when Jordan created space for a cross, Flint’s close range shot was cleared by Huddersfield. 

The Blues retook the lead from the penalty spot. Jordan was taken down with 12 minutes to go and Rovers captain Shepherd stepped up on her return from illness to smash the ball home.

Holbrook, only a substitute due to injury, came on to score what proved to be the winner seven minutes from time. Once again Jordan was the architect, finding the midfielder in the box, who calmly slotted the ball in from close range. 

Jordan continued to cause problems as she beat the offside trap and rounded Oakes, only to shoot wide from a tight angle.

Huddersfield grabbed a late consolation goal when Sanderson met a cross and headed past Gibbons in stoppage time. 

But Rovers held on to claim a hard fought three points and maintain a 100% record in all competitions. 

Next up is the Lancashire FA Challenge Cup Semi-Final away to Burnley on Sunday 20th September, (2pm). 

ROVERS: Gibbons, Jukes, Taylor (Kennerley 90), Shepherd (C), Davies (Clarkson 87), Fenton, Jordan, Flint, McDonald, Fletcher, Donoghue (Holbrook 57). 

Unused Subs: Stuart, Pacitto. 

Advertisement block