Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Report: Huddersfield Town Ladies 1 Rovers Ladies 3

The holders are through to the last four of the Cup

24 February 2019

Sponsored by

Rovers Ladies booked their place in the Semi-Finals of the League Cup with a 3-1 victory over Huddersfield Town Ladies.

An own goal had Rovers in front before Lucy Sowerby hit back for the hosts. Lagan Makin and Saffron Jordan then turned the game back into Rovers’ favour after the break to seal their progression. 

Rovers’ new signing Fran Stenson was thrown straight into the side, on the same day she completed her loan move from Manchester City Women. 

And the 17-year-old made an instant impact, comfortably saving Macy Ellis’ shot with just three minutes on the clock. 

There was a carbon copy save to make 10 minutes later when Ellis capitalised on Rovers’ defensive error and got a shot away, but Stenson was once again equal to it. 

Rovers grew into the game as the half wore on. Jess Holbrook won possession back in the middle of the park and found Serena Fletcher, who played an inch-perfect ball for Jordan, only for her strike to fly over the bar. 

And on the half hour mark Rovers broke the deadlock. Charlotte Stuart flicked on Holbrook’s free-kick and after Charlotte Oates made the initial save, the ball was turned into her own net by a Huddersfield player. 

The visitors almost doubled the advantage straight away when Alex Taylor picked out Jordan, who poked her effort past Oakes, only for Ella Harris to get back and clear it off the line.

Rovers had the ball in the net again moments later when Lynda Shepherd rose highest from Holbrook’s corner, but the referee spotted an infringement in the middle and disallowed the goal. 

Out of nothing, Huddersfield were level on the stroke of half-time. Sowerby's shot from distance flew straight into the top corner, giving Stenson no chance. 

It took the away side just seven second-half minutes to regain the lead. Jordan’s shot was parried into the path of Makin, who coolly tapped home into the empty net with her right foot. 

Ellis had another chance to level but great defending from Stuart to make a block on the line kept Rovers ahead.

The hosts enjoyed a period of pressure after the hour mark, with Stenson forced into action from Kate Mallin’s free-kick, before Fletcher made a brilliant last ditch tackle to prevent the Huddersfield captain getting in on goal. 

And the home side were made to pay for not taking their chances, as the Blues made it three courtesy of Jordan’s 30th goal of the season. Makin’s cross was palmed into the path of Jordan, who poked the ball home at the second attempt.

Jordan and Holbrook created chances to increase Rovers’ advantage further, who then had loanee Stenson to thank for making diving saves from Mallin’s late efforts.  

Rovers host Loughborough Foxes in the last four next Sunday at the Sir Tom Finney Stadium, (2pm). 

ROVERS: Stenson, Jukes, Taylor (Fenton 45), Shepherd (C), Stuart, Holbrook, Davies (Pacitto 82), Jordan, Makin (Walsh 87), McDonald, Fletcher.


Advertisement block