Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Rovers U23s 2-2 Burnley

Battling young Rovers earn a draw in a behind closed doors encounter against The Clarets at the Academy

6 August 2019

Sponsored by

Stefan Mols scored with the last kick of the game as Rovers Under-23s earned a deserved draw in a behind closed doors game against Burnley.

Mols pounced at the back post late on to tap home Louie Annesley's cross from the left to earn Rovers a draw against a strong Clarets side.

Rovers took the lead through Andy Jackson in the first half, before the visitors turned the scoreline on its head with a quickfire double.

But just when it looked like Rovers wouldn't get anything from the encounter, up popped Mols to grab the leveller.

Burnley included first team quartet Charlie Taylor, Ben Gibson, Nakhi Wells and Matej Vydra in their lineup, whilst ex-Rover David Jones started in midfield.

Rovers began well, and took the lead on 15 minutes when Jackson rose highest to plant an excellent cross from Jack Vale beyond Adam Legzdins and into the corner of the net.

At the other end, Jones' free kick was held by Joe Hilton, before Vale almost bagged a brilliant solo goal but saw his effort bravely blocked by a Clarets defender.

The host went in with the advantage at the break, with Taylor's left-footed strike whistling just past Hilton's post prior to the interval.

Rovers almost added to their lead early in the second half, with Legzdins producing sharp reflexes to turn a Vale strike around the post 10 minutes into the half.

But with just over 20 minutes remaining the visitors did snatch an equaliser. After cutting in from the left, Vydra's effort from the edge of the box flew into the back of the net, to the right of the despairing dive of Hilton.

Soon after the turnaround was complete, as Gibson bundled home from close range after Hilton failed to properly deal with a cross from the right.

To their credit, Rovers remained positive and saw header from Matty Platt saved by Legzdins, prior to a header from Sam Barnes crashing against the underside of the bar and bouncing away with just five minutes remaining.

Continuing to push for an equaliser, Annesley advanced upfield and put in the perfect cross for Mols, who earned the draw under the watchful gaze of first team bosses Tony Mowbray and Sean Dyche.

Rovers: Hilton, Jackson (Leonard, 78), Barnes, Platt, Annesley, Thompson, Doyle, Lyons, Mols, White (Saadi, 29), Vale.

Burnley: Legzdins, Cropper, Gibson, Dunne, Taylor, Jones (Phillips, 80), Benson, Conn-Clarke (Richardson, 46), Koiki, Wells (Harris, 65), Vydra.

Advertisement block