Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Development team complete the double!

Rovers had already wrapped up the league title before Sunday's cup final

15 April 2019

Sponsored by

Rovers’ Development team won the FA Women's National League Reserve Cup in dramatic fashion, beating Charlton Athletic 3-1 on penalties following a 1-1 draw after 120 minutes.

Amelia Size was the shootout hero at Rugby Town FC, saving two penalties to help Ellie Cash’s team claim a league and cup double.

Rovers captain Ebony Stinson gave the Blues an early lead - her 30 yard free-kick sailed straight into the roof of the net just five minutes into the final.

Another Stinson free-kick found Eve Clarkson in the box, but she couldn’t direct her glancing header on target. 

Issy Pacitto then won possession in midfield, and after playing a one-two with Carra Jones, saw her shot well saved by Kelk. 

Kelk was called into action again when Ria Montgomery forced the Addicks stopper into a diving one-handed save to thwart the Development team’s top scorer. 

Size comfortably saved a free-kick before the half was out - the best Charlton could muster in the first period. 

But it was the Londoners who came out the blocks quicker after the restart, and levelled mid-way through the second-half. Georgia Pearch fired the ball into the bottom corner following a goalmouth scramble in the Rovers box. 

At the other end, another Stinson free-kick caused Charlton problems, but Clarkson failed to capitalise as she flicked the ball narrowly over the bar.

An extra 30 minutes couldn’t separate the two sides, despite the best efforts of Dorey. Her free-kick was tipped over by Size, who was determined not to be beaten for a second time. 

Penalty kicks would decide the contest. 

Charlton’s first penalty went over the bar before Stinson stepped up first and scored. 

Size saved the next spot-kick before Ria Montgomery and Emily Walton both netted theirs for Rovers, in between an Addicks pen also finding the net. 

That left all the pressure on Charlton’s fourth penalty. They had to score to stay in the shootout but Size pulled off another diving save to win the cup for Rovers. 

ROVERS: Size, Rawstron, Redman, Stinson (C), Clarkson, Dykes (Turner 93), Hornby, Gerrard, Jones (Walton 73), Pacitto, Montgomery.

Advertisement block