Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Ladies progress in League Cup

Saffron Jordan bags twice to edge Gemma Donnelly's side through to the next round

1 October 2018

Sponsored by

Rovers Ladies are through to the last 32 of the FA Women’s National League Cup courtesy of a 2-1 victory over Guiseley Vixens at Nethermoor Park.

A brace from top scorer Saffron Jordan, scored either side of Shannon Durkin’s leveller for Guiseley, sent the holders into the next round of the competition.

Rovers took the lead after three minutes when Alex Taylor crossed from the right for Jordan to finish first-time from inside the box. 

She almost doubled her tally for the game a minute later, but saw her effort cannon back off the crossbar.

The visitors did then have the ball in the net for a second time, but Natasha Flint’s goal was ruled out for offside. 

Gemma Donnelly’s side continued to threaten in the opening stages. Jordan failed to hit the target from inside the area when the ball fell to her from a Jess Holbrook corner.

Jordan then went close again – seeing her left-footed effort parried by Gusieley stopper Bethan Davies, before Taylor put the rebound wide.

Rovers were made to pay for those missed chances, as a cross from the right was headed home by Durkin to put the home side on level terms with their first attempt of the game.

That equaliser didn't deter Rovers’ attacking play and they could have been back in front almost immediately had Flint managed to convert Lauren Davies’ through ball.

Charlotte Stuart then headed narrowly wide from Holbrook’s corner, as the away side continued to pile on the pressure.

At the other end, the Vixens thought they had taken the lead, but the offside flag came to Rovers' rescue.  

The same pair of Taylor and Jordan combined once again for the second goal. This time Taylor’s cross was diverted into the net by Jordan, via a deflection, for her eighth goal of the season in all competitions. 

Chances to extend the lead before the break came and went. Flint cut back onto her left foot and unleashed a fierce strike that Davies was forced to palm away. The striker then saw the keeper off her line and fired in a shot from distance, but Davies scrambled back to tip the ball out for a corner.

After the restart, Rovers somehow failed to go two goals up. Taylor had three shots at goal, with the second blocked on the line, but strong appeals for handball and a penalty were waved away by the referee. 

Despite dominating the game, Rovers could not find a third goal. Flint lobbed Davies, but Jodie Hunter got back on the line to head the ball clear, before captain Lynda Shepherd shot straight at the Guiseley keeper.

Taylor continued to cause problems down the right in the closing stages, taking on the full-back and pulling the ball back for Flint, who shot wide.

Rovers’ backline saw out the final 10 minutes to ensure a hard-fought away win.

The Ladies turn their attention back to the league on Tuesday night with a home game against Bradford City at the Sir Tom Finney Stadium, kick-off 7.45pm.

ROVERS: Gibbons, Stuart, McDonald, Jukes, Fenton (Kennerley 70), Walsh (Shepherd 59), Holbrook, Davies, Taylor, Flint, Jordan.

Advertisement block