Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Rovers 1 Rotherham United 1

Late Dack goal not enough as Rovers have to settle for a point against the Millers at Ewood

10 November 2018

Sponsored by

Bradley Dack's 10th goal of the season in all competitions wasn't enough for Rovers, who had to settle for a point despite bossing the second half against Rotherham United at Ewood Park.

Dack struck with 10 minutes remaining to grab a point for the hosts, who found themselves a goal down through Michael Smith's second half header.

Rovers played well enough and created enough chances to win three or four games, but it wasn't to be despite an excellent performance.

Tony Mowbray made a trio of changes from the team that beat QPR last weekend for today's game against Rotherham United.

David Raya returned to the starting XI just two weeks after suffering an injury against West Bromwich Albion.

Jack Rodwell and Kasey Palmer also came into the side in place of the injured Derrick Williams and the suspended Corry Evans. The boss opted not to risk skipper Charlie Mulgrew, so Elliott Bennett took the armband on his 100th league start for Rovers.

A lively start saw Roterham make forays forward and loanee Richie Towell went close to opening the scoring as he looped a volley over the upright and onto the top of the net.

At the other end, Amari’i Bell raced forward but saw Marek Rodak in his way from opening his account in Rovers colours from an acute angle.

Visiting skipper Richard Wood then had a glorious chance to break the deadlock with the half hour mark remaining, but he could only head over Raya’s bar following a Michael Smith nod back across goal.

A few minutes later and Adam Armstrong almost produced a spectacular opener as he nutmegged Zak Vyner, before cracking a curling effort against the crossbar after cutting in from the left side.

Mowbray made a change at half time, with Ryan Nyambe returning from injury in place of Harrison Reed, who picked up a knock midway through the first half.

Just seconds into the second half saw Danny Graham test Rodak after neat play from Armstrong and Dack.

Bennett, who moved into central midfield following Nyambe's introduction, then tested the Rotherham goalkeeper in quick succession as the hosts searched for that opening goal.

A looping header from Graham had to be cleared off the line by Wood before a cross from Darragh Lenihan almost caught Rodak out at his near post as Rovers began to turn the screw.

Rodak was proving to be a nuisance for Rovers and just after the hour Dack saw the Slovakian in his way after the playmaker left a couple of opponents for dead.

With 20 minutes to go, a deep Bennett cross found Graham five yards out, but the experienced striker could only glance a header just past the post.

But four minutes later Rotherham grabbed the first goal of the game. A deep cross from the right from Ryan Williams found the head of Smith, who nodded a header back across goal and into the bottom corner.

Rovers responded and after Armstrong's strike was parried, it reached Nyambe, whose header was cleared off the line by Robertson.

And that equaliser finally came as Dack made it 10 for the season after substitute Ben Brereton put the ball on a plate for the number 23. The Blackburn End erupted and the grandstand finale was on.

On the hunt for what would surely be a late winner, Palmer fired wide with five minutes to go after neat feet from Dack.

Bennett's strike was goalbound before a deflection off Joe Mattock in one of the final chances of the encounter, and Rovers had to settle for a point despite dominating the second half.

Rovers: Raya, Bennett (c), Lenihan, Rodwell, Bell, Reed (Nyambe, 46), Smallwood (Brereton, 76), Palmer, Dack, Armstrong, Graham (Rothwell, 76).

Unused substitutes: Leutwiler, Downing, Conway, Travis.

Goal: Dack, 80

Rotherham United: Rodak, Vyner (Wiles, 69), Mattock, Ajayi, Wood (c), Towell, Robertson, Manning, Newell (Taylor, 60), Williams (Vassell, 90), Smith.

Unused substitutes: Price, Forde, Palmer, Proctor.

Goal: Smith, 75

Booked: Smith, 79

Referee: David Webb.

Attendance: 12,847 (683 away)

Advertisement block