Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers Review: October

A look back at how Rovers got on in October 2017

15 June 2018

Sponsored by

After two wins from their last two games in September, Rovers headed into October full of confidence and looking to contine that form as summer turned to autumn.

First up it was a home clash with Bury in the Checkatrade Trophy, looking to build on our win over Stoke City earlier on in the competition. A much changed Rovers narrowly lost to a strong Shakers side, with Harry Bunn scoring the winner in the second half. 

Back in League One action 11 days later, it was a local trip to Oldham Athletic for Rovers, and it wasn't a day to remember. The Latics stole the win at the death, with Quincy Menig bagging in the final minute of time.

There came a chance to bounce back a few days later with Plymouth Argyle making the long trip up to Ewood for a Tuesday night clash. Former Celtic man Graham Carey scored with a wonderful 30-yard attempt after half an hour, but Rovers battled back with Bradley Dack scoring on the stroke of half time. Despite dominating, Rovers couldn't find a way through a resolute Greens defence and had to make do with a point.

Rovers returned to Ewood four days later and produced one of the stellar performances of the season as they comfortably dispatched Portsmouth. Bradley Dack got us off the mark before second half strikes from Danny Graham and Craig Conway sealed the three points in wet conditions.

A week later and Rovers were back on the road and faced a tricky test with a trip to Wigan Athletic. There were no goals at the DW Stadium and Rovers were reduced to 10 men, with Elliott Bennett seeing a controversial red card. Harry Chapman's season was ended after picking up a hamstring tear.

Rovers ended the month with a home game against Fleetwood Town, for the Cod Army's first ever visit to Ewood Park. And the team were twice pegged back as the clash resulted in a share of the spoils. Bradley Dack and Joe Nuttall gave Rovers the lead on two separate occasions, but Fleetwood, who had Amari'i Bell starting for them, found responses with Aidan O'Neill and then Wes Burns levelling.

Advertisement block