Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Shrewsbury 1 Rovers 1

Dack's late strike rescues point for Mowbray's men

23 September 2017

Sponsored by

Bradley Dack scored a late equaliser as Rovers picked up a point away to league leaders Shrewsbury Town.

After a goalless first-half, which saw little in the way of clear-cut chances for either side, Aristote Nsiala capitalised on some poor defending to open the scoring on 57 minutes.

Shrews striker Stefan Payne wasted a glorious chance to double their lead, before a triple Rovers change breathed life into the visitors and they secured a share of the spoils six minutes from time.

Substitute Harry Chapman did brilliantly to fashion the opening and when the ball dropped to Dack in the box, he rifled home his first goal for the club.

Chapman came close to winning it for Rovers on the 90-minute mark, but it would have been unjust on the hosts, who produced a performance befitting of their status at the top of the table.

Ahead of the game, Rovers made two changes to the side that lost 1-0 at home to AFC Wimbledon last time out.

Dack returned to the starting line-up in place of the injured Craig Conway, whilst Danny Graham was handed his first league start since the defeat to Doncaster in place of Marcus Antonsson, who dropped to the bench.

Ben Gladwin missed out with a hip injury picked up in training and with Rekeem Harper, Ryan Nyambe, Darragh Lenihan and Scott Wharton all still sidelined, that meant a place on the bench for Lewis Travis, who has enjoyed an impressive start to the season for Rovers Under-23s.

Rovers made a bright start and had a greay chance to open the scoring inside five minutes.

Elliott Bennett sent over a cross from the right, but Dominic Samuel's free header, from 10 yards out, drifted inches wide of the upright.

Shrewsbury looked a threat on the break, with Shaun Whalley leading the charge on countless occasions down the right wing, but it was Rovers who created another decent opening on 24 minutes. Paul Caddis crossed from the right, but Dack headed over in the middle.

Moments later, Whalley tried his luck with a left-foot curler from the edge of the area, which looked to be heading towards the top corner, but Charlie Mulgrew did well to divert it to safety.

Just past the half-hour mark and Shrewsbury were almost gifted the opening goal. A corner from the right wasn't dealt with by David Raya and Nsiala's header bounced back off the top of the bar.

Rovers had an equally good chance to break the deadlock moments later, as Dack broke free down the right, he stood up a cross from the byline, but Richie Smallwood headed over the bar.

The first attempt of the second half went Rovers' way, with Derrick Williams letting fly from 30 yards out, but his superb strike whistled inches wide of the upright.

Moments later, a trademark Mulgrew free-kick, from 25 yards out, was comfortably claimed by Dean Henderson just below his bar.

However, against the run of play, Shrewsbury opened the scoring. Rovers failed to clear their lines from a free-kick, the ball was headed back into the box, it dropped kindly to Nsiala, who fired it into the back of the net.

Rovers looked to make an immediate response, but Bennett saw a shot deflect just past the post.

Shrewsbury had an excellent chance to double their lead on 70 minutes, as Payne was played in one-on-one with Raya, but Rovers' Spanish stopper made a superb save with his legs.

Rovers made a triple change straight after, with Antonsson, Chapman and Peter Whittingham all introduced and the substitutes almost made an instant impact, as Antonsson crossed from the left, but Chapman's header was straight at Henderson.

However, Rovers weren't to be denied and the equaliser arrived on 84 minutes.

Chapman did brilliantly to burst past two players, and his cross from the byline fell kindly for Dack, who drilled home his first Rovers goal from close range.

Shrewsbury captain Abu Ogogo saw a volley saved by Raya, before Chapman almost won it for Rovers on 90 minutes, but his audacious effort with the outside of his right foot was saved by Henderson.

It ended all-square and Rovers now have back-to-back home games this week, with Rotherham and Gillingham the visitors to Ewood Park.

SHREWSBURY TOWN: Henderson, Godfrey (Adams 90), Sadler, Whalley (Dodds 90), Ogogo (c), Brown, Bolton, Nolan, Nsiala, Rodman, Payne (Morris 86).

Subs not used: MacGillivray, Beckles, Gnahoua, John-Lewis.

Goal: Nsiala (57)

ROVERS: Raya, Caddis, Ward, Mulgrew (c), Williams, Bennett (Chapman 71), Smallwood, Evans (Whittingham 72), Dack, Graham (Antonsson 71), Samuel.

Subs not used: Leutwiler, Downing, Hart, Travis.

Goal: Dack (84)

Booked: Dack.

Attendance: 8,202 (1,619 Rovers fans)

Advertisement block