Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Rovers 1 Wigan 0

Magical Marvin earns Rovers the points

4 March 2017

Sponsored by

A stunning second half goal from Marvin Emnes helped Rovers to a 1-0 win over Wigan Athletic.

The Dutchman struck a sensational solo effort to ensure a second successive win this week to move Rovers out of the bottom three.
The home side enjoyed plenty of possession in the first half, but lacked that cutting edge to open up a resolute Latics side.
But just ahead of the hour mark, quick thinking from Jason Steele saw the keeper pick out Emnes on half way. He plucked the ball out of the air with a supreme piece of skill before advancing on goal and lashing home.
Boosted by the opener, and urged on by a noisy home support, Rovers should have added to their tally. Substitute's Connor Mahoney, Elliott Bennett and Danny Graham all going close.
Wigan threatened late, but Jamie Hanson fired wide when well-placed, to ensure it would be Rovers celebrating once more.
Tony Mowbray kept faith with the side that defeated Derby County in midweek, the only change in the 18 being on the bench as there was a welcome return from injury for Tommie Hoban.
And within 60 seconds of the start at Ewood Rovers went close to opening the scoring. A ball inside from Craig Conway picked out Liam Feeney on the edge of the area, he struck first-time left-footed but Matt Gilks got down to his right to save.
There was then a break in play after Shaun MacDonald came off worse following a challenge with Sam Gallagher. The Latics midfielder stretchered off to be replaced by Max Power.
Rovers continued to force the pace, enjoying plenty of the ball in the opposition half, but without ever working Gilks in the Wigan goal.
In contrast the visitors probably had the better of the chances in the opening 45. Michael Jacobs fired wide after intercepting a midfield pass, before Omar Bogle shot straight into the arms of Jason Steele.
Pressing and probing, Rovers ended the half camped on the edge of the Wigan box once more, but they were almost caught on the counter in time added on as Sam Morsy saw a shot from the edge of the box deflect off Darragh Lenihan. With Steele scrambling across his line, the keeper was relieved to see the ball roll past the upright.
Charlie Mulgrew was called upon to make an early block as the visitors looked for a bright start to the second half, the Scot sticking tight to Bogle to ensure his effort didn't trouble the Rovers goal.
The home side responded with a series of dangerous corner-kicks, Darragh Lenihan unlucky to see his glancing header deflect wide.
Connor Mahoney and Danny Graham were introduced just before the hour mark, but it was a man on from the start who opened the scoring in sensational fashion.
Quick thinking from Steele saw him pick out Emnes on the touchline just inside the opposition half, the Dutchman showing supreme skill to bring the ball down in a single movement.
He advanced unopposed to the corner of the area, but with options to his right he chose to go it alone, catching Gilks unawares with a shot low into the bottom corner for his fourth goal of the campaign.
Unfortunately for the striker it would prove to be his last involvement in the match as he limped off shortly afterwards. His replacement, Elliott Bennett, was immediately involved in finding fellow sub Mahoney, but the youngster steered his effort just beyond the far post.
From a similar position on the opposite flank Bennett would be next to try his luck, but like the earlier chance, the ball was bent just wide.
After some confusion, the visitors made their final changes as Gabriel Obertan and Will Grigg were sent on in an attempt to find an equaliser. But it was Mahoney threatening once more as he fired a whisker over the crossbar after cutting inside onto his left.
As the match entered the closing stages it became more stretched with both sides having opportunities.
On 77 Dan Burn glanced a header wide from a Jamie Hanson corner, before the Wigan defender made an important block to prevent Graham from getting his shot on target.
Mulgrew fired a free-kick narrowly wide, but the best chance for the visitors came two minutes into four additional at the end of the match.
As a ball across the box from Obertan was missed by Bennett it fell to Hanson, but he snatched at the opportunity and fired well off target.
Wigan threw everyone forward in the final moments, but Rovers defended their lines well to claim their second home win in four days.
ROVERS: Steele, Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams, Feeney (sub Mahoney 57 mins), Lowe (c), Guthrie, Conway (sub Graham 57 mins), Emnes (sub Bennett 61 mins), Gallagher.
Subs not used: Raya (GK), Hoban, Joao, Tomlinson.
Goals: Emnes 58 mins.
Booked: Mulgrew 69 mins.
WIGAN: Gilks, Buxton, Morsy, Connolly (sub Grigg 72 mins), Bogle, MacDonald (sub Power 8 mins), Jacobs (sub Obertan 71 mins), Tunnicliffe, Warnock (c), Hanson, Burn.
Subs not used: Evans (GK), Perkins, Gilbey, Weir.
Goals: None.
Booked: Morsy 86 mins.
Attendance: 13,165 (including 1965 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block