Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Derby 1 Rovers 2

Rovers rally to defeat the Rams

24 September 2016

Sponsored by

Quick-fire goals from strikers Marvin Emnes and Danny Graham helped Rovers to their second successive league win.

Not for the first time this season Rovers had to come from behind, but the visitors roared back in impressive fashion with two strikes in three minutes to claim a fully deserved three points.
The first half was a tale of two penalties - one not given, and one not converted - both for Rovers. Just five minutes in Sam Gallagher looked to have been brought down by keeper Scott Carson, but the referee was unmoved.
Then after Jason Steele had kept out a long-range strike from Jacob Butterfield, Rovers were awarded a spot-kick when Marvin Emnes was tripped. But Ben Marshall's strike bounced off the foot of the post.
But after a goalless first half, the match sprang into life just past the midway point of the second with three goals in four minutes.
Matej Vydra lashed the Rams in front with a goal out of nothing, but the response from the Rovers was emphatic.
A minute later Emnes grabbed his third league goal in as many games, racing goalwards before seeing his shot deflect home, but then only a sensational save from Steele stopped the Rams from going back in front.
Instead play was switched back up the other end and after a flurry of passes the Dutchman put the ball on a plate for substitute Graham to fire Rovers to victory.
Following last week's win over Rotherham United, it was no surprise that Owen Coyle named an unchanged starting eleven for the match against Derby.
Danny Graham returned from injury to take his place on the bench, alongside new signing Wes Brown.
The Rams made one change from their draw with Bristol City, as Darren Bent replaced the injured James Wilson. Markus Olsson starting the match against his former club.
Rovers were quick out of the traps at the iPro with strong claims for a penalty waved away after just five minutes.
Full back Derrick Williams threaded the ball through to Sam Gallagher in the area before he was taken down by Scott Carson but referee Andrew Madley wasn't interested in the striker's appeals.
Rovers continued to see more of the ball and pose more of a threat, Williams this time with a quick free-kick up to Marvin Emnes but the forward's effort was blocked.
The home side grew into the game as it went on with Ikechi Anya causing the Rovers back line problems. A ball to the back post saw the Scottish international nod into the path of Vydra, and whilst his shot was only headed away as far as Darren Bent, the former England man was well off target with his improvised overhead kick.
Then after Anya had seen a goal chalked off for offside, Butterfield let fly from outside the box, Jason Steele alert to the danger with a fine save to his left to push the ball behind.
Both sides continued to have half-chances until Rovers were presented with the opportunity to take the lead from the spot six minutes before the break.
Collecting a high ball from Marshall, Emnes controlled it brilliantly in the box before being tripped by Derby captain Richard Keogh for a clear penalty.
However Marshall could only fire against the post from 12-yards, and although the ball rebounded to the Rover, he put his second attempt wide, not that it would have counted had he found the back of the net as no other player had touched the ball.
Despite that setback Rovers ended the half strongly, Gallagher with a wonderful ball across the six-yard box couldn't that find a man in red at the back post, before Marshall was just wide at the opposite side after cutting in on his left foot to shoot.
The start of the second half saw Rovers struggling to get out of their own half as the Rams enjoyed a spell of sustained pressure.
After Will Hughes had fired over from outside the box, Rovers needed a fine save by Steele to keep out a Vydra header after he connected well with a cross from Cyrus Christie.
But slowly and surely Rovers started to find their feet once more, looking a threat on the counter-attack, but despite having two or three chances on the break, they weren't able to trouble Carson in the Derby goal.
On 66 minutes Rovers made their first change of the game as Gallagher, who had worked tirelessly without reward up front, made way for Danny Graham.
Moments later the Rams made a double change with former Rover Nick Blackman, along with fellow forward Andreas Weimann, replacing Darren Bent and Craig Bryson.
However neither sub was involved as Derby opened the scoring moments later. Anya threading through to Vydra in the area, and his shot went through the legs of Tommie Hoban and crept in at the far post beyond the despairing dive of Steele.
But in the blink of an eye Rovers were back on level terms. From the kick-off Rovers went on the attack and as Gordon Greer sent the ball forward, Graham flicked on for Emnes who advanced before shooting from distance and the ball found the back of the net via a deflection off a Derby defender.
Suddenly the match was end-to-end with the home side threatening once more. A ball into the box picked out Vydra but Steele pulled off an outstanding fingertip save to keep the ball out.
But as quickly as Rovers almost went behind for a second time, they were celebrating scoring a second goal of their own.
The resulting goal kick saw Rovers play 23 passes and only Hoban didn't touch the ball before Emnes slid the ball through to Graham and he coolly fired home.
That prompted a third change for Derby as Tom Ince replaced Olsson, but a resolute Rovers limited the opposition to little in the way of further goalmouth opportunities.
Instead it was Rovers who could have added to their tally. Marshall going close after reacting quickest to a throw back to Carson, before in the second of three additional minutes, Graham and Emnes broke quickly, but Emnes' shot deflected wide.
Late drama had been the hallmark of Rovers' matches this season, but thankfully on this occasion there would be nothing of the sort as the noisy travelling support roared on as the final whistle blew.
DERBY: Carson, Christie, Keogh (c), Pearce, Olsson (sub Ince 79 mins), Butterfield, Bryson (sub Weimann 68 mins), Hughes, Vydra, Bent (sub Blackman 68 mins).
Subs not used: Mitchell (GK), Baird, Johnson, Elsnik.
Goals: Vydra 69 mins.
Booked: Christie 77 mins.
ROVERS: Steele, Lowe (c), Greer, Hoban, Williams, Marshall, Guthrie, Evans, Conway, Gallagher (sub Graham 66 mins), Emnes (sub Lenihan 90+3 mins).
Subs not used: Raya (GK), Feeney, Samuelsen, Akpan, Brown.
Goals: Emnes 70 mins, Graham 73 mins.
Booked: Lowe 29 mins, Evans 37 mins.
Attendance: 26,602 (including 523 Rovers fans)

Advertisement block