Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Rovers 2 Nottm Forest 1

Forest felled by Gally brace

18 October 2016

Sponsored by

A first half brace from Sam Gallagher helped Rovers to a 2-1 home win over Nottingham Forest.

The young forward took his tally to five in a blue and white shirt with two expertly taken finishes to give Rovers all three points at a soaked Ewood Park.
Despite tricky conditions under foot Rovers started strongly with a goal after just 11 minutes. A quick through ball saw Gallagher race clear from halfway before poking under the advancing keeper.
Whilst the first goal was a solo effort, the second on the stroke of half-time was a wonderful team move. Danny Guthrie spotted the run of Corry Evans into the box and he unselfishly squared for Gallagher to tap home.
In the second half Rovers twice saw strong claims for penalties waved away, and that allowed the visitors to come into the game in the closing stages. Nicolao Dumitru-Cardoso firing wide when well placed.
There were a crazy final few minutes as Forest pulled a goal back and then had a man sent off, but Rovers saw the game out to claim the points.
Rovers made two changes from the side that played out a goalless draw with Ipswich Town on Saturday as Jason Lowe returned to the side following his one-match suspension, whilst Darragh Lenihan partnered Tommie Hoban at the heart of the Rovers defence in Gordon Greer's absence.
With Lowe at right back, that meant Ben Marshall was restored to his more familiar wing role. He showed early promise with a dart into the area, but on a soggy Ewood turf, David Vaughan timed his sliding run to perfection.
But after Gallagher had headed a Craig Conway corner wide of target, the young striker would find the back of the net on eleven minutes.
With Forest playing a high line, a ball from Jason Lowe sent Gallagher racing through on goal unopposed. With just Vladimir Stojkovic to beat it looked like the forward had over hit the ball but it caught the keeper out as it rolled gleefully into the back of the net.
Despite the tricky conditions under foot Rovers were playing some lovely one touch football. An instinctive flick from Marshall teed up Conway, but the Scot couldn't keep his effort down.
Apostolos Vellios headed over in a rare attacking move from the visitors, before a lovely run from Gallagher almost resulted in a second goal but his left-footed strike curled just beyond the far post.
A minute later his strike partner Marvin Emnes was next to try his luck from distance, but the Dutchman was off target from 35-yards.
But as the first half drew to a close Rovers grabbed a second goal their performance deserved.
It was yet more sharp incisive play from the home side as Danny Guthrie slipped a wonderful ball through to Corry Evans in the area and he unselfishly squared for Gallagher to notch his second of the game and his fifth in Rovers colours this season.
Despite the weather improving, the second 45 was a much scrappier affair in contrast to the first.
Forest served warning with an early attempt at goal after the turnaround when Vellios headed straight at Steele, whilst at the other end the impressive Derrick Williams poked a great ball through to Emnes but his near post shot was saved.
Rovers then twice saw appeals for spot-kicks turned down after Gallagher looked to have been felled on two occasions. The Southampton man was then inches away from grabbing a deserved third but he couldn't get on the end of Conway's drilled cross.
Eleven minutes from time Rovers were given a let-off when Vellios played in substitute Nicolao Dumitru-Cardoso but the attacker fired wide from inside the box.
Despite the visitors pressing for a way back into the game, Rovers looked to be holding out for a second consecutive clean sheet. However two minutes into four added at the end of the match saw Forest grab an unlikely goal.
A long throw into the box wasn't dealt with at the near post and despite Steele getting a hand to the ball, it went straight to Perquis who poked home.
That sparked a crazy final few minutes when Forest were reduced to ten men as Hildeberto Pereira picked up a second yellow card as Rovers broke away upfield after the visitors had thrown everyone forward. But Rovers saw them out to claim a third win of the campaign.
ROVERS: Steele, Lowe (c), Lenihan, Hoban, Williams, Marshall (sub Mulgrew 71 mins), Evans, Guthrie, Conway, Gallagher, Emnes (sub Feeney 89 mins).
Subs: Raya (GK), Stokes, Samuelsen, Akpan, Bennett.
Goals: Gallagher 11 mins, 44 mins.
Booked: Lenihan 75 mins, Feeney 90+4 mins, Gallageher 90+6 mins.
FOREST: Stojkovic, Lichaj, Mills, Cohen (c), Lansbury, Osborn (sub Assombalonga 74 mins), Pereira, Carayol (sub Dumitru-Cardoso 44 mins), Vaughan (sub Kasami 25 mins), Perquis, Vellios.
Subs: Henderson (GK), Traore, Lam, Grant.
Goals: Perquis 90+3 mins.
Booked: Pereira 9 mins, Mills 90+6 mins
Off: Pereira 90+5 mins.
Attendance: 10,462 (including 868 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block