Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Rovers 0 Ipswich Town 0

Stalemate at Ewood in match of few chances

15 October 2016

Sponsored by

Rovers and Ipswich Town had to settle for a share of the points in a goalless draw at Ewood Park.

The first half saw man-of-the-match Jason Steele made a smart save to keep out an Adam Webster header, whist Danny Guthrie fizzed a long-range strike narrowly over.
Steele was called upon to make a key double save in the second to keep out Freddie Sears and Tom Lawrence, whilst Ben Marshall was just off target with another effort from distance.
In a match short of quality and goalmouth opportunities, Rovers could at least cheer a first clean sheet of the season, with Nottingham Forest next at Ewood on Tuesday.
Fresh from scoring a debut goal for his country in midweek, Martin Samuelsen was handed his Ewood debut as one of three changes from last time out.
Sam Gallagher and Danny Guthrie returned to the side as Danny Graham missed out through injury whilst Darragh Lenihan dropped to the bench.
In bright October sunshine it was Rovers who started positively, seeing plenty of the ball, yet it was the visitors who were first to threaten on ten minutes.
After Freddie Sears had got the better of Ben Marshall, Grant Ward fired goalwards requiring Jason Steele to make the save.
Danny Guthrie responded with an effort from distance that went wide, but again it was Ipswich creating the better openings.
Luke Chambers saw a shot deflect wide of goal, then from the resulting corner, the Ipswich captain glanced beyond the back post.
In what was turning into a bright passage of play for the visitors, Rovers were then thankful for a fantastic reaction save from Steele to keep out an Adam Webster header, before former Rovers loanee Tom Lawrence fired wide.
Moments later he was back with a sight of goal, but Steele scooped up his shot comfortably.
The home side ended the opening half some forward momentum. A lovely spell of passing involving Marshall, Samuelsen and Marvin Emnes ended with Marshall firing goalwards, but it didn't trouble Bartosz Bialkowski in the Ipswich goal. With the final act being a 25-yard effort from Guthrie that fizzed narrowly over the bar.
Rovers were forced into making their first change of the match when Gordon Greer didn't return for the second half.
The Scot, who had picked up a knock whilst with his country last week, was replaced by Lenihan at the back.
But like the first half Rovers struggled to gain a foothold in the game. More often than not they squandered possession cheaply, allowing the visitors to see more of the ball.
Steele made a smart save at his near post to keep out a deflected effort from Leon Best, before the Rovers keeper made a double save to deny Freddie Sears and Tom Lawrence.
Samuelsen was replaced by Elliott Bennett before Rovers were forced into making a final change as Corry Evans limped off with Hope Akpan on in his place.
Rovers finally threatened late on with Ben Marshall showing good speed down the flank before cutting inside and firing narrowly over, but it was a rare effort at goal as the matched drifted to it's inevitable goalless conclusion.
ROVERS: Steele, Marshall, Greer (sub Lenihan 46 mins), Hoban, Williams, Conway, Evans (sub Akpan 72 mins), Guthrie, Samuelsen (sub Bennett 62 mins), Emnes, Gallagher.
Subs not used: Raya (GK), Feeney, Stokes, Mulgrew.
Goals: None.
Booked: Gallagher 87 mins.
IPSWICH: Bialkowski, Knudsen, Chambers (c), Berra, Skuse, Best, Webster, Ward (sub Bishop 75 mins), Sears, Douglas, Lawrence (sub Williams 85 mins).
Subs not used: Gerken (GK), Bru, Grant, Emmanuel, Kenlock.
Goals: None.
Booked: None.
Attendance: 10,820 (including 564 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block