Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

PL Cup Report: Cardiff City 0 Rovers 0

5 December 2016

Sponsored by

Rovers added a point to their Premier League Cup tally in a low-key encounter in Cardiff.

On a tricky surface, it was a match in which both defences were on top throughout, with little in the way of goalmouth action at the Leckwith Athletics Stadium.

Andy Fisher tipped over a long-range strike from Tommy O'Sullivan on 16 minutes, before Scott Wharton should have done better from close-range but could only head straight into the arms of City keeper Luke O'Reilly.

The second half was similarly devoid of chances, but Rovers could have snatched the points at the death but as O'Reilly clawed away Wharton's header sub Daniel Butterworth saw his close-range effort on the follow-up deflect over the crossbar. 

In overcast and chilly conditions there was little of note in the first 15 minutes of the Premier League Cup match, as both sides cancelled each other out. Andy Fisher in the Rovers goal called into action to tip over a long-range strike from Cardiff forward Tommy O'Sullivan.

With Rovers struggling to get any meaningful passing play going due to the bobbly surface, their best opportunities looked to be from set-plays. Matty Platt glanced a Lewis Travis free-kick wide of goal at the midway point of the opening half, but his fellow central defender should have done better five minutes later.

Platt himself saw a header cleared away in the six-yard box, and as the ball was put back into the area, the returning Wharton could only head straight into Luke O'Reilly's arms.

That was as good as it got in the first half, and the second was similarly light on goalmouth opportunities.

On 56 the hosts threatened on the break through Mark Harris who in turn fed Theo Wharton, but his cross was too high for half-time sub Ibrahim Meite.

With 12 minutes to go Rovers handed an Under-23 debut to Academy striker Daniel Butterworth. The young forward has seven goals to his name this season, and he'd come as close as anyone to breaking the deadlock in the final throes of the match.

A late corner from Connor Mahoney reached Wharton at the back post, his header was plucked away by O'Neill, Butterworth reacted quickly by firing in the rebound but it deflected over the bar to ensure the match ended goalless.

CARDIFF: O'Reilly, Rees, Tutonda, Welch (sub Waite 66 mins), James (c), Baker, Harris (sub Coxe 77 mins), Wharton, Phipps (sub Meite 46 mins), O'Sullivan, Abbruzzese.

Subs not used: Blaise, Byrne.

Goals: None.

Booked: O'Sullivan.

ROVERS: Fisher, Travis, Doyle, Tomlinson, Platt, Wharton (c), Mahoney, Hardcastle (sub Butterworth 78 mins), Mansell, Rankin-Costello, Thomson.

Subs: Magloire, Powell, Grayson, Rittenberg.

Goals: None.

Booked: None.

Attendance: TBC

Advertisement block