Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 16/04/2016

16 April 2016

Sponsored by

Report: Rovers 0 Huddersfield 2

Rovers slipped to a third consecutive home defeat after a disappointing 2-0 loss at the hands of Huddersfield Town.

In a mistake-laden match at Ewood Park a mis-placed Shane Duffy header allowed Nahki Wells to poke home a first-half opener.

The Terriers striker then had a hand in the visitor's second as his header deflected in off the unfortunate Matt Kilgallon ten minutes into the second half.

Rovers saw shouts for a penalty turned down when a strike from Jordi Gomez appeared to be kept out by the arm of Dean Whitehead, whilst Danny Graham spurned two headed opportunities.

But in worsening weather a long-range strike from Darragh Lenihan forced a low save from Jed Steer, however it was a rare opportunity as Huddersfield celebrated a first win at Ewood since Boxing Day 1986.

Paul Lambert made just the one change from the side that drew with Wolves seven days ago as Simeon Jackson got the nod ahead of Jason Lowe.

But it was Huddersfield who started the better of the two sides, enjoying plenty of possession as Rovers struggled to get into the game.

After little forward play from either side, the opening goal was handed on a plate to the visitors on 35 minutes.

Lenihan intercepted a ball in midfield, and as it looped up in the air Duffy looked to head back to his keeper except Huddersfield striker Wells was alert to the situation and pounced to poked home a simple goal.

Rovers failed to respond to going behind with the Terriers posing more of a threat. Rajiv Van La Parra cutting in from the left to shoot, but his effort was straight into the arms of Steele.

Needing a reaction Rovers made a double change at the break as Chris Brown and Jason Lowe replaced Simeon Jackson and Elliott Bennett, but it was more poor defending that proved costly as the visitors doubled their advantage.

As a corner from the left came into the Rovers box, Wells flicked on with the ball deflecting into the back of the net off Kilgallon.

That second goal finally woke Rovers from their slumber with the home side creating three chances in quick succession.

Danny Graham spurned a great chance with a free header from a Ben Marshall centre that he nodded wide, before the loan forward saw a goalbound effort blocked by Tommy Smith to allow Jed Steer to claim in goal.

Rovers then saw strong claims for a penalty kick waved away when Jordi Gomez saw his shot from just inside the box strike the arm of Dean Whitehead, but despite strong appeals from those in blue and white, referee Carl Boyeson only awarded a corner.

The home supporters did their best to encourage the side, but the players struggled to raise their game as the weather worsened.

Graham was again wide from a Gomez pass, Marshall fired over with an ambitious effort.

Steer was finally called into meaningful action four minutes from time as Darragh Lenihan let fly from distance, but the Terriers keeper raced across his line to make the save.

Huddersfield controlled proceedings in the closing stages, comfortably seeing out the match to claim a rare victory at Ewood Park.

ROVERS: Steele, Marshall, Duffy, Hanley (c), Kilgallon, Lenihan, Grimes, J. Gomez, Bennett (sub Lowe 46 mins), Graham (sub Akpan 76 mins), Jackson (sub Brown 46 mins).

Subs not used: Raya (GK), Henley, Ward, Evans.

Goals: None.

Booked: Hanley, Lenihan, Duffy.

HUDDERSFIELD: Steer, Smith, Davidson, Whitehead (sub Billing 89 mins), Hudson (c), Huws, Bunn (sub Dempsey 82 mins), Lolley (sub Matmour 62 mins), Wells, van La Parra, Lynch.

Subs not used: Allinson (GK), Scannell, Cranie, Bojaj.

Goals: Wells 35 mins, Kilgallon (OG) 54 mins

Booked: None.

Attendance: 15,061 (including 1777 visiting supporters).

Advertisement block