Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 26/09/2015

26 September 2015

Sponsored by

Report: Hull City 1 Rovers 1

Jordan Rhodes marked his 150th appearance in a Rovers shirt with a stoppage-time equaliser away to Hull.

Abel Hernandez's goal midway through the second half looked set to be the difference between the two teams, until Rhodes popped up in the first minute of added time to head home the leveller.

After a goalless first half, Hernandez opened the scoring on 73 minutes, tapping home Ahmed Elmohamady's right-wing cross at the back post.

However, Rhodes rescued a point for Rovers late on, heading home Craig Conway's corner.

Both teams had chances to win it after that, as Hope Akpan saw a volley cleared off the line, before Curtis Davies headed wide of the target at the death.

Davies was lucky still to be on the pitch at that point, having clearly brought down Rhodes on the edge of the area just seconds before the hosts opened the scoring, but the referee ignored the Scot's strong appeals.

However, the 25-year-old would go on to have the final word, grabbing his 79th Rovers goal on a milestone appearance for the club. 

Prior to kick-off, Rovers boss Gary Bowyer was forced to make one change to the team that beat Charlton Athletic last weekend. 

Fode Koita was ruled out with a knee injury, so Tom Lawrence, who grabbed a goal and an assist in the 3-0 victory over the Addicks at Ewood Park, took his place.

Matt Kilgallon missed out with a slight hamstring problem, whilst Rovers remain without Jason Lowe (foot), Chris Brown (knee) and Chris Taylor (groin). Tommy Spurr was back on bench.

Rovers came flying out of the traps and created a decent opening inside 30 seconds. Ben Marshall played the ball down the right flank to Lawrence, who escaped Davies' clutches, broke into the box, but opted to try and pick out a pass instead of shooting and the hosts cleared the danger.

However, the visitors were dealt an early blow, as Danny Guthrie limped out with just eight minutes on the clock - Akpan, who had a loan spell at the KC Stadium in 2011, coming on in his place.

Hull had to wait until the 13th minute for their first effort. Elmohamady supplied the cross from the right and Hernandez's looping header was just wide of the upright. 

The Uruguayan went closer still moments later. After robbing Hanley of possession just outside the area, he bore down on goal, but Jason Steele made a superb save at his near post, when a pass to one of his team-mates was surely a better option.

At the midway point in the half, Lawrence made another surging run forward. His shot was blocked, Adam Henley put the ball back into the box but Rhodes was unable to keep his header down.

As the half wore on, Hull began to create the better chances. Elmohamady tried his luck from distance requiring Steele to palm the ball around the post, whilst Hernandez and Davies both fired wide with over-head kicks.

Perhaps the best chance of the half went Rovers' way five minutes before the break. Marshall delivered a cross from the right, Rhodes headed goalwards but Tigers' keeper Allan McGregor made a smart save.

Rovers again made a flying start after the interval. Just eight seconds had elapsed when Marshall fired inches over the bar from 25 yards out.

Then on 52 minutes, Huddlestone tried his luck from a similar distance with a rasping drive forcing Steele to make a smart save low to his left.

Just past the hour mark, Hull rang the changes, with Shaun Maloney and Jake Livermore both introduced.

Livermore was quickly into his stride, teeing up Chuba Akpom, who fired well over on the angle.

Rovers came close to opening the scoring with 20 minutes remaining. Craig Conway floated a free-kick into the box and Hanley's looping header whistled just wide of the upright.

The deadlock was broken however just three minutes later and Rovers were rightly aggrieved. Rhodes was clearly brought down by Davies when through on goal, but the referee waved play on and Hull went straight down the other end and scored.

Elmohamady delivered a low cross from the right flank and Hernandez tapped home at the back post.

It should have been 2-0 moments later, but Maloney headed Mozses Odubajo's cross wide of the mark.

Maloney then almost turned provider with a corner from the left, but Steele somehow kept out Huddlestone's header at his near post.

Akpom then fired a left-foot shot across Steele's goal and wide of the far post, before Rhodes secured a share of the spoils in the first of six minutes of added time.

Conway delivered a corner from the left and the unmarked Scot headed home in the middle to claim his fifth goal of the season on his 150th appearance in a Rovers shirt.

Both teams could have won it after that. Another Conway corner dropped to Akpan, whose vicious volley was cleared off the line, before Davies headed wide from close range at the other end.

HULL CITY: McGregor, Odubajo, Davies, Huddlestone, Hernandez (sub Meyler 89 mins), Clucas, Diame (sub Maloney 61 mins), Akpom, Dawson, Robertson (sub Livermore 65 mins), Elmohamady.

Subs not used: Jakupovic, Maguire, Hayden, Aluko.

Goal: Hernandez 73 mins.

Booked: Davies, Dawson.

ROVERS: Steele, Henley, Hanley, Duffy, Olsson, Conway, Evans, Guthrie (sub Akpan 8 mins), Marshall (sub Spurr 83 mins), Lawrence (sub Delfouneso 79 mins), Rhodes.

Subs not used: Raya, Lenihan, Williamson, O'Sullivan.

Goal: Rhodes 90+1 mins.

Booked: Hanley, Evans, Steele.

Attendance: 16,486 (including 879 Rovers fans) 

Advertisement block