Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 15/08/2015

15 August 2015

Sponsored by

Report: Huddersfield 1 Rovers 1

Rovers picked up their first point of the season with a hard-fought 1-1 draw at Huddersfield.

It was a second goal of the season from summer arrival Nathan Delfouneso who earned the visitors a share of the spoils in the Yorkshire sunshine.

The home side started brightly, taking the lead after just nine minutes. Forward Nahki Wells lashing home after David Raya had denied Ishmael Miller.

Craig Conway curled an effort just wide following a scintillating run from Mo Barrow, whilst Joe Murphy in the Huddersfield goal saved well from Jordan Rhodes to take the Terriers' advantage into the break.

Rovers' task was made tougher at the start of the second half when Jordan Rhodes limped off with an ankle knock following a poor challenge from Dean Whitehead, but it was the substitutes who made the difference soon after.

On 67 Ben Marshall's centre was knocked down by Rhodes' replacement Fode Koita and into the path of fellow substitue Delfouneso who slammed the ball into the back of the net with his first touch of the match.

Rovers had the momentum in the closing stages, yet it was the Terriers with the opportunities. Raya saving well from Jacob Butterfield, Sean Scannell and Harry Bunn to ensure the Lancashire club claimed a first point on their travels.

Rovers made just the one change from the side that tasted defeat on the opening day of the league season.

Modou Barrow was handed his first start in Rovers colours, replacing midweek goalscorer Nathan Delfouneso who dropped to the bench. Whilst new signing Hope Akpan was named amongst the substitutes.

The home side made three changes following their 2-0 loss at Hull City, with Joe Murphy, Sean Scannell and Ishmael Miller coming in for Alex Smithies, Martin Cranie and Harry Bunn.

With both sides looking for their first points of the season it was the Terriers who gained the upper hand inside ten minutes at the John Smith's Stadium.

Keeper David Raya first denied Huddersfield captain Mark Hudson with a smart save at his near post, but the Rovers didn't heed that early warning and went behind from the very next attack.

Scannell's ball into the box found the head of Miller, but Raya again saved well, however the young Spaniard was powerless to prevent Nahki Wells from pouncing on the rebound and lashing the ball home.

Rovers had offered little as an attacking threat, but the first meaningful involvement from Modou Barrow showed a glimpse of the talent the boy has.

Collecting a pass from Adam Henley, the Gambian beat two Town men before cutting inside and teeing up Craig Conway for a shot on the edge of the area, but the Scot was a whisker away as his effort went the wrong side of the post.

Miller fired wide from Jacob Butterfield's slide-rule pass at one end, whilst an impressive ball forward from Danny Guthrie saw Jordan Rhodes in on goal, but Murphy saved his low effort.

The start of the second half got off to a bad start for Rovers with Rhodes picking up an ankle knock following a bad challenge from Dean Whitehead that saw the midfielder booked.

The Rovers striker tried to run off the effects of the challenge but was unable to do so and was subsequently replaced by Fode Koita.

With Gary Bowyer's side needing to get back on level terms a double change soon followed as Nathan Delfouneso and Hope Akpan were introduced, Modou Barrow and Danny Guthrie the men to make way.

Within a minute the change made it's mark. Marshall's cross into the box was nodded down by Koita and Delfouneso slammed the ball into the back of the net for his second of the season.

Suddenly it was Rovers forcing the pace, yet the home side could have regained the lead soon after.

Butterfield's left-footed strike was palmed away by Raya, Scannell fired goalwards vet the keeper saved once more with Adam Henley completing the clearance acrobatically on the line.

Another chance for the Terriers soon followed as Jason Davidson centred from the left, but Wells seemed caught in two minds in front of goal and the ball rebounded off the striker and behind.

Conway was a constant threat down the flanks but Rovers couldn't make more of the opportunities he created, on the other side Marshall and Henley both threatened with balls into the box, but the home defence held strong.

Huddersfield sub Harry Bunn failed to test Raya with a looping shot as the clock headed into four minutes of added time. The Rovers keeper claiming the ball comfortably above his head to ensure a first point on the board for Gary Bowyer's men.

Rovers are back in action this Tuesday night when Cardiff City are the visitors to Ewood Park.

HUDDERSFIELD: Murphy, Smith, Davidson, Whitehead, Hudson (c), Hogg, Scannell, Butterfield, Miller (sub Bunn 72 mins), Wells, Lynch.

Subs not used: Allinson (GK), Cranie, Wallace, Hiwula, Dempsey, Hammill.

Goals: Wells 9 mins.

Booked: Hudson, Whitehead.

ROVERS: Raya, Henley, Duffy, Hanley (c), Olsson, Barrow (sub Delfouneso 59 mins), Lowe, Guthrie (sub Akpan 59 mins), Conway, Marshall, Rhodes (sub Koita 49 mins).

Subs not used: Steele (GK), Spurr, Kilgallon, Williamson.

Goals: Delfouneso 60 mins.

Booked: None.

Attendance: 11,338 (1125 Rovers fans).

Advertisement block