Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 25/04/2015

25 April 2015

Sponsored by

Report: Huddersfield Town 2 Rovers 2

Rudy Gestede and Jordan Rhodes were both on the scoresheet again but Rovers had to settle for a point at Huddersfield.

Not for the first time this season Rovers held the upper hand but their inability to hold on to a lead proved costly once more.

The home side started the better but two goals in the space of four minutes from Rovers' sharp shooters put them in control. Gestede swept home after good work from Rhodes before the former Huddersfield man headed home a Craig Conway corner.

Jacob Butterfield put the Terriers back in contention with a free-kick before the break, before Huddersfield, who twice saw goals chalked off for offside, levelled six minutes from time through Joe Lolley.

Rovers could have won the match in the closing stages as substitute Josh King and Rhodes both saw goal bound shots blocked.

The draw meant Gary Bowyer's side end their away campaign nine unbeaten, but that will be of little consolation as they once again let a lead slip.

The home side set the tone for the first half with an effort at goal inside the opening minute at the John Smith's Stadium.

An early corner from the left was headed goalwards by Terriers captain Mark Hudson, but Simon Eastwood, one of four Rovers changes, made a superb save.

Aside from a wayward effort from Markus Olsson, the impetus was very much with the home side. Chris Powell's team enjoying the greater possession with Rovers struggling to get going in the final third.

Oscar Gobern was high and wide after a corner arrived at his feet, before a Connor Coady cross caught out Eastwood, the ball sailed over his head but thankfully bounced back off the woodwork and to safety.

Rovers continued to struggle as Ishmael Miller then saw a header chalked off after the striker had strayed into an offside position.

Yet after creating so little, Rovers were suddenly two goals to the good with a quick fire double from their deadly strike duo.

On 27 minutes Jordan Rhodes tricked his way into the the area and although the former Huddersfield man couldn't get his shot away as his route to goal was blocked, the ball ran through to partner Rudy Gestede and he swept it home.

Four minutes later and Rhodes would get his goal. Craig Conway sending over a corner from the left and Rhodes - unmarked - headed home for his 20th of the campaign.

Huddersfield got straight back on the attack and reduced the scoreline six minutes before the break. After Tommy Spurr was adjudged to have fouled his man on the edge of the area, Jacob Butterfield stepped up and curled the resulting free-kick over the wall and high into the back of the net with Eastwood clawing thin air.

Boosted by that goal the Terriers went in search of an equaliser before the half-time whistle. Gobern inches wide with a shot on the half-volley, whilst Miller fired over the bar with a shot from the corner of the area.

The home side continued to force the pace into the second half with Sean Scannell proving to be their best outlet down the left.

The wide man twisted and turned before delivering a peach of a cross to the back post but Miller couldn't direct his header on target.

Tom Cairney replaced Paul Taylor but it was another chance for Huddersfield that followed. Substitute Joe Lolley was given far too much space in midfield before feeding Nahki Wells but Eastwood saved well.

At the other end Rhodes rounded goalkeeper Alex Smithies, however from a tight angle he could only find the side-netting. The Huddersfield man then claimed a Tommy Spurr header from Conway's corner.

The home side thought they had equalised on 80 minutes when Wells touched home a Scannell centre only to be denied by the offside flag, but there was no doubting the leveller when it came four minutes later.

Like so many times this season the Rovers' midfield was found sadly wanting as Lolley advanced unchecked and he picked his spot with a half volley from the edge of the area that flew home.

Rovers should have clinched the points a minute from time as first substitute Josh King, and then Jordan Rhodes, both had chances, but both were blocked as the match ended all square.

The Ewood club end their away campaign nine unbeaten on their travels, but after leading by two goals, they should have been leaving the John Smith's Stadium with more than the point they claimed.

HUDDERSFIELD: Smithies, Hudson (c), Scannell, Butterfield, Coady, Miller (sub Vaughan 75 mins), Wells, Gobern, Smith, Lynch, Wilkinson (sub Lolley 59 mins).

Subs: Murphy (GK), Bunn, Wallace, Hogg, Edgar.

Goals: Butterfield 39 mins, Lolley 84 mins.

Booked: Hudson.

ROVERS: Eastwood, Henley, Lenihan, Spurr, Olsson, P.Taylor (sub Cairney 64 mins), Williamson (sub King 87 mins), Evans, Conway, Gestede, Rhodes (c).

Subs: Raya (GK), Dunn, Brown, Marshall, Spearing.

Goals: Gestede 27 mins, Rhodes 31 mins.

Booked: Lenihan.

Attendance: 17,056 including 1087 Rovers fans.

Advertisement block