Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Wolves u21s 2 Rovers u21s 2

3 November 2014

For the second successive match, substitute Jordan Preston rescued a point for Rovers in a 2-2 draw with Wolverhampton Wanderers on Monday night.

Last week the Scottish youth international struck late to earn Rovers a point against West Bromwich Albion, and this evening against their Black Country rivals the striker did the same to share the points at the New Bucks Head Stadium.

It had been Rovers who raced into an early lead with the opening chance of the game. Devarn Green grabbing his first goal of the campaign following up a strong run with a superb 20-yard strike.

However, two goals in as many minutes then saw the game turned on it's head.

The home side drew level on 12 minutes after they were awarded a penalty when Bradley Reid was brought down in the box by Sam Lavelle. Ibrahim Keita stepped up and sent Ryan Crump the wrong way to equalise.

No sooner had the game restarted than Wolves took the lead. The hosts catching Rovers with a counter-attack from a Rovers corner with Keita applying the finishing touch for his second of the night.

In an entertaining opening both sides spurned further opportunities. Green going close on two further occasions, whilst another Keita attempt and an Albert Torras shot were just off target.

In contrast, the second half was less end-to-end and more of a midfield battle with chances few and far between. Rovers captain Bradley Bauress shooting wide at one end, whilst a Reid effort from distance was tipped over by Crump at the other.

With just over five minutes remaining a David Carson centre was met by the head of substitute Jordan Preston but Jonathan Flatt in the Wolves goal made a comfortable save.

Less than 60 seconds later however, Preston would get another chance and this time he made no mistake. As the ball arrived with him inside the area he emphatically lashing home to earn Rovers a share of the spoils - their third consecutive draw.

"We had a great start with Devarn smashing one in and we looked comfortable," said coach Eric Kinder after the game.

"Then all of a sudden Sam Lavelle is naive and gives away a penalty. Then we're caught from our own corner and we find ourselves 2-1 down.

"We changed our shape at half-time and it was more of a midfield battle after that with neither goalkeeping having much to do.

"We stuck at it and didn't give in and Jordan Preston pops up to smash one in with a good finish.

"I think the draw was a fair result. We need to work harder on keeping possession, but I'm satisfied with our performance.

"We keep going when things aren't going our way, we've now picked up points against West Brom and Wolves from losing positions."

WOLVES: Flatt, Iorfa, O’Hanlon, Weeks, Swan, Carter (sub Matinyadze 67 mins), Reid, Torras, Keita, Ronan (sub Erdei 73 mins), Hunte.

Subs not used: Dutton, Leacock-McLeod, Enobakhare

ROVERS: Crump, Carson, Doyle, Tanner, Lavelle, Daly, Mahoney, Bauress (c), Rittenberg (sub Joel 90 +2 mins), Green, Cham (sub Preston 75 mins).

Subs not used: Williams, Paulo Jorge.

Attendance: 189

Advertisement block