Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 01/02/2014

1 February 2014

Rovers 2 Blackpool 0

Rovers returned to winning ways thanks to goals in each half from David Dunn and Grant Hanley.

In a match in which the home side had the better of the play throughout, Rovers eventually got the goals that their possession deserved.

After a slow start in horrible conditions David Dunn gave Rovers the lead. Skipping past two challenges before firing home in style from the edge of the box.

Rovers huffed and puffed in an attempt to put the game beyond the Seasiders but it wasn't until seven minutes from time that they finally grabbed a second, Grant Hanley heading home debutant Craig Conway's corner for his first of the season.

The result see Rovers move up a place in the table to 8th.

Two changes were made from the side that drew 2-2 with Barnsley in midweek - both of them were enforced. Todd Kane replaced Adam Henley who missed out with a slight achilles injury whilst the other change saw Chris Taylor return to the starting eleven as the minor concussion that Lee Williamson suffered at Oakwell saw him sidelined.

Rovers' new signings Bryan Dabo and Craig Conway were both named amongst the substitutes after their international clearance was received in time for the duo to be available.

It was wet and wild at Ewood Park as this Lancashire derby got under way, with both sides struggling to get to grips with the conditions.

Early on a centre from Chris Taylor was nodded just wide by Rudy Gestede, whilst Isaiah Osbourne did likewise from a free-kick at the other end.

Slowly but surely Rovers started to gain the moment, the midfield trio Tom Cairney, Chris Taylor and David Dunn seeing plenty of the ball.

The weather might have been miserable, but the opening goal was one that would brighten up any occasion. On 20 minutes Tom Cairney quickly fed David Dunn and the Rovers veteran rolled back the years with a jinking run that took him past two defenders before he lashed home beyond Matt Gilks with a superb left-foot strike.

Boosted by the goal Rovers went looking for a second, Paul Robinson's long free-kick was flicked on by Rudy Gestede but Jordan Rhodes couldn't get to the ball ahead of Gilks.

The Seasiders responded with a couple of chances of their own, Basham nodded wide at the back post, whilst a swirling effort from distance by Steve Davies needed quick reactions from Paul Robinson.

Rovers ended the half in total control but were unable to carve out any clear cut chances. A Dunn cross that Blackpool defender Kirk Broadfoot headed against Rhodes and deflected wide their best opportunity.

There was no improvement in the conditions as the two sides took to the field of play in the second half with the Tangerines having the first chance after the turnaround.

A headed clearance from Todd Kane only found Blackpool midfielder Faris Haroun, he fed Steve Davies but his shot on the turn only found the side-netting.

Rovers responded with a spell of pressure, a Chris Taylor run saw Tommy Spurr cross but Jordan Rhodes glanced side, then Todd Kane fired over with a shot on the run.

Play continued towards Matt Gilks' goal, Grant Hanley seeing a header deflected wide from a David Dunn free-kick.

Blackpool made a double change with Stephen Dobbie and Andy Keogh introduced, with Dobbie catching the eye with a mazy run and shot that deflected just past the post.

Rovers then made a double switch of their own as Josh King and Craig Conway came on for Chris Taylor and David Dunn, and those two were involved in another chance as play was switched from left to right, man of the match Todd Kane firing in a low cross towards Rhodes that had to be hacked clear.

Whilst the score was 1-0 there's always that nagging feeling that Blackpool could grab an unlikely equaliser. As the match entered the last ten minutes it was Rovers pressing for a second.

A quick break from Josh King saw Rhodes find Gestede but his shot deflected just past the post. However that disappointment was quickly put to bed as Rovers scored from the resulting corner kick.

Debutant Craig Conway delivered from the right and fellow Scot Grant Hanley headed down into the ground from the six-yard box, the ball bouncing high into the roof of the net.

That second goal ensured all three points were going to be Rovers but they still went in search of further goals. Great play by Craig Conway saw him get around the back of the Blackpool defence but his cross was headed over by Jordan Rhodes.

It was a game in which Rovers had the better throughout, but until Grant Hanley's header there was always that chance that Blackpool could get back into the game, thankfully the Scot's first goal of the season ensured there was to be only one result.

ROVERS: Robinson, Kane, Hanley (c), Kilgallon, Spurr, Taylor (sub King 70 mins (sub Olsson 90 mins)), Lowe, Cairney, Dunn (sub Conway 69 mins), Rhodes, Gestede.

Subs not used: Eastwood (GK), Dabo, Morris, Mahoney.

Goals: Dunn 20 mins, Hanley 83 mins.

Booked: Spurr.

BLACKPOOL: Gilks, Broadfoot, Mackenzie (c), McMahon, Cathcart, Osbourne, Basham (sub Tyson 81 mins), Perkins (sub Dobbie 61 mins), Halliday (sub Keogh 61 mins), Haroun, Davies.

Subs not used: Warner (GK), Martinez, Eccleston, Chopra.

Goals: None.

Booked: Osbourne, Davies.

Attendance: 15,045 (1591 visiting supporters).

Advertisement block