Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 16/08/2014

16 August 2014

Report: Blackpool 1 Rovers 2

Rudy Gestede hit a superb brace as Rovers recorded their first win of the season with a 2-0 victory over Blackpool.

The Rovers striker opened the scoring past the midway point of the first half before powering home a second half header to put the visitors in control at Bloomfield Road.

However Tomasz Cywka ensured a few nervy moments when he reduced arrears on 53, whilst Paul Robinson had to palm a Tony McMahon effort onto the post as Blackpool pressed.

Rovers rode the sustained pressure with Gestede almost adding a third in the final seconds but his effort flashed inches wide.

Gestede's brace meant 11 goals in his last 11 league games and all three points.

Gary Bowyer made just the one change from the side that face Cardiff City on the opening day of the season.

With Matt Kilgallon missing with a back injury, Josh King returned as Rovers shuffled their squad.

Jason Lowe switched from midfield to right back with former Seasider Alex Baptiste partnering Grant Hanley in the centre of defence. King on the right of a four-man midfield as Tom Cairney moved inside.

In their first home game of the season it was Blackpool who started the brighter of the two sides. An early foray forward from Tomasz Cywka saw him cross for Jacob Mellis but Lowe was back to make an excellent block.

Then a minute later David Perkins got the better of Corry Evans in the centre of midfield but put his shot wide of Paul Robinson's goal.

Blackpool stopper Joe Lewis was called into action on 11 as Josh King found Jordan Rhodes in the area, but his turn and shot was easily claimed.

It was a scrappy first half in blustery conditions, but a quick-fire break just past the midway point saw Bowyer's men take the lead.

As Rovers cleared their lines from a Pool corner, they broke through Josh King, he raced away to find Tom Cairney but whilst his effort was blocked, King fed Rudy Gestede and he swept the ball home for his first of the campaign.

The popular striker raced over to the 2300 Rovers fans to celebrate in front of them.

The Seasiders saw Ishmael Miller nod a Tony McMahon cross wide, but that was a rare attack from the home side as Rovers ended the first half the stronger.

On 32 a long throw from the right by Jason Lowe saw a towering header from Gestede, but whilst there was plenty of power it lacked the accuracy to trouble the home side.

Gestede continued to be a thorn in the Blackpool side. He put the ball in the back of the net a second time but was flagged offside, before he nodded a header straight at Joe Lewis from Craig Conway's corner.

Rovers almost grabbed a second in the final moments of the first half, but Grant Hanley fired over from a similar position to which Gestede had opened the scoring.

Within two minutes of the restart Rovers doubled their lead. So often last season the Conway/Gestede combination resulted in goals and it was the same on 47 as the Scotsman finished off a fine move to cross for the striker to head home for his second of the game.

The Benin man could have been celebrating a hat-trick moments later when another Conway centre caused Blackpool problems, Baptiste and King keeping the pressure up but Gestede acrobatically volleyed over.

Despite the bright start to the second half it was the home side who grabbed the next goal. As Grant Hanley and Corry Evans both went for the same ball, Tomasz Cywka let fly from outside the box, Paul Robinson looked to have it covered but the ball squirmed underneath his body and rolled slowly into the back of the net.

With the goal giving the home side renewed enthusiasm Rovers became under more pressure. Tony McMahon seeing a shot only palmed by Robinson who then had to scramble back to touch the ball onto the post. Thankfully Jason Lowe was on hand to brilliantly block Ishmael Miller on the follow-up.

With Blackpool pressing forward they were susceptible on the break. Josh King taking advantage of the space afforded to him to race forward, Corry Evans took over but his effort skimmed the outside of the post.

Paul Robinson then atoned for his earlier error with a stunning stop to deny Nathan Delfouneso, the Rovers number one flinging himself full-length to push aside the strike.

With the home side gaining ground in the centre of midfield, Jordan Rhodes was sacrificed for Lee Williamson, whilst Ben Marshall replaced a tiring Josh King.

Those changes stemmed the tide as far as Rovers were concerned, but there were a few gasps as five additional minutes were shown.

Rovers saw out the added time trouble free with Gestede inches away from grabbing a deserved third, but as he controlled the ball on his chest in the area, he lashed inches wide.

A welcome first three points of the season, next up on their travels is Norwich City this Tuesday.

BLACKPOOL: Lewis, McMahon (c), Clarke, Daniels, Oriol, Perkins (sub Davies 88 mins), Lundstram, Mellis (sub Zoko 46 mins), Cywka (sub Zenjov 68 mins), Delfouneso, Miller.

Subs not used: Parish (GK), Dielna, Dunne, Rentmeister.

Goals: Cywka 53 mins.

Booked: Oriol, Zoko.

ROVERS: Robinson, Lowe, Hanley (c), Baptiste, Olsson, King (sub Marshall 84 mins), Evans, Cairney, Conway, Rhodes (sub Williamson 76 mins), Gestede.

Subs not used: Eastwood (GK), Dunn, Varney, Taylor, O'Connell.

Goals: Gestede 26, 47 mins.

Booked: Olsson, Gestede, Marshall

Attendance: 12,130

Advertisement block