Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers rally to earn a deserved point

7 April 2014

Rovers u21s 3 Wolves u21s 3

A spirited second half display saw Rovers U21s twice come from two goals down to earn a point in an enthralling 3-3 draw at Leigh Sports Village.

A sloppy start from the home side saw them 2-0 down inside eight minutes as a penalty from Ibrahim Keita and a Hyuga Tanner own goal put Wolves in command.

Rovers ended the first half strongly but had no goals to show for it, however two minutes after the restart they pulled one back when Tanner fired in off the post to atone for his earlier error.

But Wolves responded almost immediately as Eusebio Bancessi's looping header somehow found the back of the net to restore the visitor's two-goal lead.

Dean Rittenberg soon hit back after good work from Luke Wall, then Tanner grabbed his second of the game, heading home another Wall centre to make it 3-3

Rovers sensed victory, substitute Jordan Preston seeing a header saved before having strong claims for a penalty waved away after being pushed over in the box in the closing stages.

Eric Kinder's side could have won it in the second of three additional minutes, but trialist Louis Laing's header bounced off the top of the crossbar.

Rovers were slow starters in their final game under the lights of Leigh Sports Village, going two goals down inside the first ten minutes.

The visitors were awarded a penalty Just three minutes in after Will Beesley handled in the area. Ibrahim Keita making no mistake from the spot.

Wolves continued to take the game to Rovers and on 8 minutes got their second goal of the game. Anthony Forde delivered a corner from the left with the ball striking Rovers midfielder Hyuga Tanner before bouncing into the back of the net for an unfortunate own goal.

It would have been three before the quarter-hour had David Raya not made a fingertip save to deny Forde. Latching onto Eusebio Bancessi's through ball the young Irishman aimed for the corner, but the Rovers goalkeeper tipped the ball around the post.

Rovers finally got their attacking play going on 18 minutes with Dean Rittenberg firing goalwards with a shot on the turn, Jon Flatt in the Wolves goal couldn't hold the initial shot but grabbed the lose ball ahead of the advancing Luke Wall.

Rittenberg sliced an effort wide after lovely control on the turn before a Rovers break from a Wolves corner almost saw the home side pull a goal back.

Luke Wall took the ball from his own corner flag to 30-yards out before finding Devarn Green, he in turn teed up Jordan Laidlaw but the trialist shot inches wide.

Rovers went even closer on 31 minutes, but following some lovely one-touch football, Devarn Green's effort was tipped around the post by Flatt.

At the break it had been a strong recovery from Eric Kinder's side, but unlike the visitors, they didn't have the goals to show for it.

It took Rovers just two minutes after the restart to half Wolves' advantage. Hyuga Tanner, who moments earlier had blazed wide, finished superbly with a first-time shot inside the box from Luke Wall's pass.

It was the young midfielder's first goal for the club, his effort going in via the foot of the post.

But Rovers couldn't build on that promising opening as the visitors restored their two-goal advantage on 53 minutes. A corner from the left reached Eusebio Bancessi and his looping header somehow squeezed home.

Less than three minutes elapsed before Rovers netted once more. Good play by Luke Wall saw the ball threaded through to Dean Rittenberg and he poked the ball under the advancing Wolves keeper to make it 2-3.

With 13 minutes to go Rovers grabbed the equaliser that their play more than merited. More excellent work from Luke Wall down the left saw him centre for Tanner and he headed home from close-range.

After that it was all Rovers, Wall crossed for substitute Jordan Preston but the forward couldn't get enough on his header, before the he had claims for a penalty waved away much to the disgust of the home supporters.

Rovers almost stole all three points at the death when trialist Louis Laing met a Bradley Bauress free-kick, but his header skimmed the crossbar.

It was an exciting end to the season at Leigh Sports Village, with the manager surely heartened by the way his young team never gave up.

They end their campaign away at West Ham United this Friday afternoon.

ROVERS: Raya, Fernandez, Beesley (sub Doyle 90+2 mins), Tanner, Laing, Lenihan (c), Green, Bauress, Rittenberg (sub Lavelle 67 mins), Laidler (sub Preston 67 mins), Wall.

Subs not used: Urwin (GK), Pero.

Goals: Tanner 47 mins, 77 mins, Rittenberg 56 mins.

Booked: None.

WOLVES: Flatt, Doherty (sub Parry 60 mins), Kellerman, Kostrna, Tank, Hause, Bancessi, O'Hara, Keita, Whittall (c), Forde.

Subs not used: Burgoyne, Carter, Erdei, Torras.

Goals: Keita (pen) 3 mins, Tanner (OG) 8 mins, Bancessi 53 mins.

Booked: None.

Attendance: 156

Advertisement block