Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 18/04/2014

18 April 2014

Rovers 0 Yeovil Town 0

Rovers missed a golden chance to close the gap on those above them after a goalless draw with Yeovil on Good Friday.

The game between the two sides back in December saw a plethora of goalmouth chances, but sadly this wasn't the case on a disappointing afternoon at Ewood Park.

Jason Lowe had Rovers' best effort of the match after just four minutes, the midfielder striking the foot of the post with a long-range effort.

Yeovil were neat and tidy whilst Rovers huffed and puffed, and despite the second half introduction of David Dunn and Josh King, Marek Stech was rarely worked in the Yeovil goal, the Glovers more than earning their share of the points.

For the third game in a row manager Gary Bowyer named the same stating eleven, keeping faith with the side that were pegged back late against Sheffield Wednesday six days ago.

There was the welcome sight of David Dunn and Corry Evans back in the squad, the pair were named amongst the substitutes.

Glorious sunshine greeted the two teams as they emerged onto the crisp Ewood Park turf, but alas the first half didn't reflect the bright conditions.

The closest either side came to breaking the deadlock in a ponderous first 45 came after just four.

Jason Lowe took advantage of the space afforded to him to strike from some 25-yards, his daisy-cutter of an effort totally catching out Glovers goalie Marek Stech who watched on as the ball struck the foot of the post and bounced away to safety.

Jordan Rhodes nodded wide from a Craig Conway cross, whilst Grant Hanley himself should have done better from a Conway corner kick. The Rovers' captain connected well couldn't direct his header on target.

Yeovil were neat and tidy when in possession and they went close just past the midway point of the half.

A ball up to striker James Hayter saw him well tackled by Tommy Spurr on the edge of the box, the ball ran to midfielder Joe Ralls but he sliced left-footed wide of goal.

Spurr, who has featured in every league game for Rovers this season, soon limped off, replaced by Corry Evans that required a defensive reshuffle. Matt Kilgallon moved to left-back, Michael Keane to his more accustomed position of centre half and Jason Lowe to right back.

Rovers continued to see more of the ball but against a well-drilled Yeovil outfit they struggled to carve out any meaningful opportunities. A Jason Lowe cross towards the end of the half after a spell of possession found Rhodes but he was unable to keep his header down.

The second half again started with Rovers seeing plenty of the ball but struggling to create anything meaningful, indeed it was the visitors who had the first shot at goal after the restart, Liam Davis firing well wide after collecting a pass inside from Tom Lawrence.

The Lawrence himself went close with a shot from the corner of the box that deflected past a flat-footed Paul Robinson.

Rovers huffed and puffed, Corry Evans fired wide after neat approach play, as did Craig Conway, but they lacked that decisiveness. The manager looked to rectify that with the introduction of David Dunn for Lee Williamson and then Joshua King for Conway.

Yet it was Yeovil substitute Joel Grant who almost broke the deadlock on 80 minutes. A neat breakaway saw the forward race into the area, his shot across goal having to be pushed aside by Robinson.

Joe Ralls then fired narrowly wide as the visitors sensed a chance to grab all three points.

Despite a wealth of attacking talent Rovers struggled to gain any traction, neat interplay between Josh King and Tom Cairney saw Cairney turn and shoot but his effort was harmless and easily claimed by the under-worked Stech.

Such was Rovers' day a break from Josh King saw Dunn play Rudy Gestede in, but instead of shooting he chose to play the ball back to Dunn whose mis-control saw it rebound to an offside Gestede much to everyone's frustration.

Byron Webster made a brilliant block to prevent a Josh King shot reaching goal, but as the ball was put back in by David Dunn, Jordan Rhodes could only head into the arms of Stech.

Then David Dunn played a one-two with King but his shot was blocked, the ball looped up to Tom Cairney but his header was tame to sum up Rovers' afternoon.

ROVERS: Robinson; Keane, Hanley (c), Kilgallon, Spurr (sub Evans 31 mins); Cairney, Lowe, Williamson (sub Dunn 66 mins), Conway (sub King 73 mins); Gestede, Rhodes.

Subs not used: Eastwood (GK), Kane, Varney, Feeney.

Goals: None.

Booked: Gestede, Hanley.

YEOVIL: Stech, Ayling, McAllister (c), Edwards, Webster, Palazuelos, Hayter (sub Hoskins 84 mins), Lawrence, Duffy, Ralls, Davis (sub Grant 76 mins).

Subs not used: Dunn (GK), Dawson, Foley, Lanzoni, Nana-Twumasi.

Goals: None.

Booked: Duffy, Hoskins.

Attendance: 14,353 (including 347 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block