Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Leicester City v Rovers

17 September 2013

Leicester City 2 Rovers 1

Rovers slipped to a narrow 2-1 defeat on a controversial evening at the King Power Stadium.

The home side lead early as Lloyd Dyer latched onto Andy King's slide-rule pass, but a dubious penalty award on the stroke of half-time left Rovers with a mountain to climb.

Tommy Spurr looked to have cleanly won the ball against Ritchie De Laet but the linesman on the far side flagged for a penalty that David Nugent converted.

Rovers rallied in the second half and pulled a goal back from the spot when substitute Chris Taylor was upended in the area and Jordan Rhodes made no mistake.

Gary Bowyer's side then thought they had equalised when Scott Dann's header appeared to have crossed the line, whilst the Foxes also felt they had strong claims for a second penalty kick waved away.

Rovers threw everything at Leicester in the closing stages but they just couldn't get the leveller their improved second half showing deserved.

Both sides named unchanged line-ups for the King Power meeting, Gary Bowyer selecting the same eleven from the draw at Burnley, whilst Leicester City boss Nigel Pearson kept faith with the players that earned an impressive home win over Wigan Athletic.

It was former Fox Ben Marshall who had the first effort on goal inside two minutes. The midfielder coming inside to try his luck from 30-yards but Kapser Schmeichel was right behind his low strike.

The home side responded with an effort from their right-winger as Anthony Knockaert cut onto his left foot to shoot, Jake Kean parrying the ball up into the air to catch.

But just past the quarter hour the home side grabbed an early opener, Andy King's inch-perfect pass picking out Lloyd Dyer and he escaped the clutches of Todd Kane to fire past Jake Kean.

King then tried with an effort of his own, but his 30-yard strike clipped the head of Grant Hanley and flew over the crossbar.

The Foxes tails were up, Dyer again dangerous, this time with a cross from the left which had to be headed behind by Scott Dann as Jamie Vardy threatened. From the resulting corner Wes Morgan got up well but Jake Kean clawed the ball away.

The slippery conditions then did Tom Cairney no favours as firstly he slipped when taking a free-kick towards the corner of the area, then as the ball eventually found his way back to the loanee, he skied another goalbound effort.

That saw a decent spell from Rovers but without ever creating a clear cut opening despite enjoying plenty of possession, Todd Kane and Josh King both made intelligent runs, whilst Cairney, Lowe and Evans were busy in the centre but the final pass was lacking.

However with Rovers on top Leicester were gifted a penalty kick out of nowhere at the end of the half. Ritchie De Laet raced into the area but Tommy Spurr looked to have cleanly won the ball, the linesman on that side had other ideas and flagged for a spot kick.

David Nugent stepped up and just as he had at the weekend against Wigan Athletic, he made no mistake to double the Foxes lead.

It was harsh on Rovers as they had responded well from going behind so early on, but like the last meeting between the two sides, they trailed at the break 2-0.

Neither side made a change at the start of a second half that spang into life on 48 minutes.

At one end Rovers appealed loudly for handball in the penalty area as a Tom Cairney free-kick fell to Tommy Spurr, his low effort hit a man in blue but referee Simon Hooper was unmoved.

Quickly play was switched up the other end as Anthony Knockaert fed Jamie Vardy through on goal but Jake Kean saved well with his legs.

A short corner then saw Knockart viciously shoot goalwards but Kean denied the Frenchman.

The home side sensed further goals with Rovers pinned back, Grant Hanley blocked an effort before Andy King's long range strike was just about kept out.

Then David Nugent saw a goalbound effort blocked by a combination of Hanley and Kean.

Despite that pressure Rovers should have pulled a goal back just before the hour mark, Tom Cairney's corner from the left was well met by the head of Josh King but the ball flashed past the wrong side of the post.

Tom Cairney then saw a free-kick deflected over the bar, whilst a jinking run and shot from the midfielder failed to trouble Kasper Schmeichel in the Leicester goal.

On 65 minutes Gary Bowyer made a double change as Chris Taylor and Markus Olsson were introduced, Corry Evans and Ben Marshall the men making way.

The change had the desired effect as it was Chris Taylor who was clumsily bundled over in the box by Danny Drinkwater with Hooper pointing to the spot.

Jordan Rhodes stepped up and bagged his 6th goal of the season as Schmeichel dived the wrong way.

The home side responded by sending on Dean Hammond for goalscorer Lloyd Dyer, but it was Rovers who were now posing the greater threat. A Cairney corner was met by Grant Hanley but he couldn't direct his header on target.

The game had been full of controversy and more would follow as Scott Dann appeared to head Rovers level, Schmeichel looked to be behind the line when he claimed the ball, to a man the Rovers appealed but nothing was given.

Leicester broke straight up the other end with Chris Taylor and Jamie Vardy going down in the Rovers box, this time it was the home side's turn to appeal, the officials again unmoved.

Rovers threw everyone forward in the final exchanges with Scott Dann joining Rhodes up front, that saw the home side hit Rovers on the counter, Chris Wood saw a shot chalked off for offside before Vardy saw a shot deflected into the side-netting.

Four additional minutes were shown with Rovers desperate for an equaliser, Tommy Spurr sent a dangerous ball into the box but it just wouldn't drop for a man in red.

In the end the Foxes looked to retain possession as far away from their goal as possible, Rovers unable to grab the leveller their second half display merited, Cairney going close with a final effort but the ball flashed just wide.

LEICESTER CITY: Schmeichel, De Laet, Morgan (c), Moore, Konchesky, Knockaert (sub Wood 80 mins), Drinkwater, King, Dyer (sub Hammond 74 mins), Nugent, Vardy.

Subs not used: Logan (GK), Schlupp, James, Hopper, Miquel.

Goals: Dyer 16 mins, Nugent (pen) 45 mins.

Booked: Drinkwater.

ROVERS: Kean, Kane, Dann (c), Hanley, Spurr, Lowe, Evans (sub Taylor 65 mins), Marshall (sub Olsson 65 mins), Cairney, King, Rhodes.

Subs not used: Eastwood (GK), Kilgallon, Marrow, Morris, Judge.

Goals: Rhodes (pen) 70 mins.

Booked: Kean, Evans, Dann.

Attendance: 19,135 (322 away fans).

Advertisement block