Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley 1 Rovers 1

14 September 2013

Burnley 1 Rovers 1

Jordan Rhodes fifth goal in three games ensured a share of the spoils in a pulsating East Lancs derby at Turf Moor.

The Rovers striker' knew little about his goal as he looked to pounce on a Scott Arfield back pass, but Burnley defender Michael Duff cleared the ball against Rhodes and it rolled into the back of the net in front of 2500 jubilant Rovers fans.

Eight minutes earlier the home side thought they had clinched a rare win over their rivals when substitute Junior Stanislas slammed home a superb 78th minute strike just eight minutes after his introduction.

Rovers pressed for a winner but were caught at the end, Lee Williamson, on for mere seconds, sacrificing himself for the cause with a last ditch challenge on Danny Ings who was through on goal, his tackle was mis-timed, a red card the inevitable conclusion.

It was a lively end to a game that had always threatened to spring into life. Burnley had the better of the first half with Jake Kean making a double save to deny Arfield and Ings, whilst Tom Heaton's superb one-handed save thwarted Tom Cariney.

As has been the case in the previous two meetings, late goals settled the match, a draw just about the fair result.

Gary Bowyer made just the one change from the side that defeated Bolton Wanderers 4-1 last time out.

David Dunn's knee injury, sustained on Monday in training, meant a first Rovers start for Corry Evans who came off the bench to score against the Trotters.

The substitute's bench saw Lee Williamson named for the first after the midfielder recovered from a back injury.

It was the home side who started the better of the two sides at a sunny Turf Moor. Just four minutes were on the clock when a clearance from Jake Kean struck the onrushing Sam Vokes, the Rovers 'keeper fortunate to see the ball rebound a yard wide of goal.

Kieran Trippier followed that up with a 25-yard free-kick that fizzed narrowly over the bar as the early pressure built.

The Burnley full back was proving to be a thorn in the Rovers' defence, a charge down the right resulted in a centre that came off Tommy Spurr and flew just over his own crossbar.

Burnley's best chance of the first half came on 18 minutes. Scott Arfield taking advantage of space to shoot from distance, Kean saved but as the ball came out to Danny Ings it was well struck requiring the Rovers man to push the ball behind.

Up to then Rovers had been quiet as an attacking force but on 22 minutes the lively Tom Cairney sent Josh King away at pace, his centre found Jordan Rhodes but the striker couldn't keep the ball down as he fired over near post.

The Clarets continued to force the pace, from a Michael Kightly centre Grant Hanley sliced behind, whilst a Trippier free-kick from distance saw Kean saved comfortably.

The last chance of note in the first half fell Rovers way and what a chance it was, Todd Kane showing good pace to storm down the right, he played the ball inside to Tom Cairney who composed himself before sweeping the ball goalwards, it seemed destined for the bottom corner but Burnley 'keeper Tom Heaton pulled off a superb one-handed save to ensure that the scores were level at the break.

Both managers resisted the temptation to make changes at the break as Rovers started the second half on the front foot, but despite the pressing and probing play from Tom Cairney, Josh King and Corry Evans, goalmouth opportunities continued to be at a premium.

It was the same at the other end as Burnley looked for an opener, Dann and Hanley defending well.

A spell of pressure from Rovers should have lead to the opening goal for Rovers. Five corners in quick succession so the home side pegged back but from Ben Marshall's inswinger Grant Hanley headed wide of goal.

Heaton then saved well from a Ben Marshall free-kick, the Burnley stopper getting down well to claim at his near post.

Before that Sean Dyche made the first change of the afternoon as Junior Stanislas replaced the debutant Kightly and it would prove to be a decisive one as the Burnley sub played a one-two with Danny Ings before unleashing an unstoppable left-footed strike that flew into Kean's bottom corner.

Gary Bowyer responded with two changes of his own as Alan Judge and Chris Taylor were sent on for Jason Lowe and Ben Marshall as the home side's lead would only last eight minutes.

It was a comedy of errors from the home side as Scott Arfield misplaced back pass picked out Jordan Rhodes but before the striker could react Michael Duff stole in to clear the ball against Rhodes and the ball bounced into the back of the net much to the delight of the 2500 Rovers fans behind that goal.

Rovers went in search for a winner, Tommy Spurr's long throws, whilst corners from Alan Judge and Tom Cairney caused consternation amongst the home support with late pressure.

On one such occasion Dean Marney had to clear off his own line which allowed Burnley to break, as Danny Ings broke clear, Lee Williamson, on for a matter of seconds, had no option but to bring down the striker to ensure the draw. The midfielder saw red, Rovers saw out the remaining minutes.

BURNLEY: Heaton, Trippier, Mee, Shackell (c), Duff, Marney, Arfield, Kightly (sub Stanislas 68 mins), Jones, Vokes, Ings.

Subs not used: Cisak (GK), Long, Lafferty, Edgar, Stock, Treacy.

Goals: Stanislas 76 mins.

Booked: Marney, Duff.

ROVERS: Kean, Kane, Dann (c), Hanley, Spurr, Lowe (sub Judge 79 mins), Evans (sub Williamson 90 mins), Marshall (sub Taylor 79 mins), Cairney, King, Rhodes.

Subs not used: Eastwood (GK), Kilgallon, Marrow, Morris.

Goals: Rhodes 84 mins.

Off: Williamson.

Booked: Lowe.

Attendance: 15,699

Advertisement block