Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 17/03/2013

17 March 2013

Rovers 1-1 Burnley

David Dunn grabbed a dramatic last-gasp leveller as Rovers drew 1-1 with Burnley at Ewood Park.

The hometown boy did good at the death with an injury-time goal to break Claret hearts and rescue a point for Rovers.

For a long time it looked like Jason Shackell's first half strike would be enough to give the visitors a rare win over Rovers, the Burnley captain following in after his header had struck the post.

Ross Wallace also struck the woodwork as Burnley enjoyed the better of the first half although Rovers should have had a penalty after Jordan Rhodes had been caught in the face by an errant boot.

The second half saw Rovers start brlghtly without ever threatening, but two moments of madness from Ben Mee saw the defender see red for the visitors on 65 minutes.

With a man advantage Rovers played the remaining half hour camped in the visitor's half but again they failed to test Lee Grant in the Burnley goal. There were plenty of penalty area scrambles and last-ditch blocks as the Clarets looked to hang on.

As six minutes of added time approached, a Cameron Stewart ball across the box arrived at the feet of David Dunn and he showed the coolest of heads in the heat of the moment to steer the ball beyond Grant at the near post.

When the two sides met at Turf Moor it took a late leveller from the home side to see the match drawn, Dunn's strike ensured it would be the same again once more.

Rovers made three changes for the visit of Burnley. Cup-tied duo David Jones and Cameron Stewart both returned to the squad, and Todd Kane, fresh from re-signing for the club on Friday was thrust straight into the white-hot atmosphere of the local derby.

Of those making way, injury prevented Markus Olsson and Joshua King from making the squad, and Morten Gamst Pedersen dropped to a substitutes bench that included Lee Williamson for the first time since sustaining an ankle injury a month ago.

Despite the charged atmosphere that greeted the two sets of players, the match was slow to get going. Rovers showed early promise with a couple of dangerous crosses from Cameron Stewart, but little could be made of those opportunities.

The quarter hour brought a penalty shout for the home side as Jordan Rhodes was caught in the face by a high boot from Michael Duff. The players and fans appealed but referee Andy D'Urso was unmoved. It was one of those were anywhere else on the pitch it would have been a free-kick.

Burnley looked to take advantage of that let-off by forcing the first save of the game on 19 minutes. Ben Mee did well to dummy allowing loan winger Alex Kacaniklic round the back but as he pulled the ball back for Martin Paterson to stike from the penalty spot, Jake Kean did well to dive to his left to turn the effort aside.

Three minutes later and Kean was called upon once more. Ross Wallace taking advantage of the space afforded to him by striking from distance, the Rovers stopper needing to make the save away to his right.

The pressure continued to build by the visitors and Rovers' resolve was eventually broken on 32 minutes. Ross Wallace floated a free-kick into the box to where Burnley captain Jason Shackell rose highest to head against the foot of the post before following the ball in to fire into the empty net.

Rovers were struggling, the Clarets a width of a post from making it 2-0 on 38 minutes. This time Wallace opting to shoot with a 25-yard free-kick, his effort grazing the outside of the woodwork.

The home side pressed for a way back into the match as the half drew to a close, but aside from a David Dunn strike from distance that flew over, Lee Grant's goal, and the Burnley area, weren't unduly troubled.

Leon Best didn't emerge at the start of the second half as Josh Morris was introduced.

The wideman immediately having an impact with dangerous wing play down the left.

With Rovers looking to get back into the game Jordan Rhodes fired wide left-footed before David Jones was just off target with a free-kick.

Burnley were reduced to ten men with 25 minutes to go when Ben Mee, who had earlier been carded for a foul on David Dunn, was shown a second yellow card for a needless late lunge on Grant Hanley.

Martin Olsson then burst forward, the Swede firing goalwards only to be thwarted by a six-yard box clearance from Chris McCann, then Rhodes headed wide from an Olsson centre as Rovers started to build the pressure once more.

As time wore on the blue and whites pressed and pressed, the visitors scrambling the ball away, throwing their bodies in the way of shots as it looked like Rovers would be frustrated in their efforts.

As six additional minutes were shown by the fourth official there was a collective cheer from the home support in an attempt at another push for a leveller. The impressive Todd Kane doing his best but his shot was saved by Lee Grant.

But cometh the hour, cometh the man and with the clock ticking over to the 96th minute a ball across the box from Cameron Stewart fell to David Dunn and he made no mistake as he steered the ball past Grant at the near post.

The midfielder was booked for his celebration, but he didn't care, the man from Great Harwood had rescued a point for Rovers.

ROVERS: Kean, Kane, Dann (c), Hanley, Martin Olsson (sub Nuno Gomes 87 mins), Dunn, Lowe, Jones, Stewart, Best (sub Morris 46 mins), Rhodes.

Subs not used: Sandomierski, Givet, Pedersen, Williamson, Rekik.

Goals: Dunn 90+6 mins.

Booked: Hanley, Dann, Dunn.

BURNLEY: Grant, Trippier, Duff, Shackell (c), McCann, Wallace (sub Lafferty 70 mins), Paterson (sub Vokes 85 mins), Kacaniklic, Bartley, Austin (sub Ings 81 mins), Mee.

Subs not used: Jensen (GK), Stanislas, Stock, Long.

Goals: Shackell 32 mins.

Booked: Austin, Mee.

Off: Mee.

Attendance: 20,735

Advertisement block