Rovers boss Gary Bowyer has offered his support to a new Futsal and Education Scholarship – which is looking for 20 players to join the first-year squad!
As a key element of The FA’s strategy to develop the game of Futsal and produce players capable of representing England, Blackburn Rovers Community Trust is introducing the exciting and innovative two-year programme, which starts in September.
It is a unique opportunity for 16 to 19-year-old football fans to study at Ewood Park and become a Blackburn Rovers Futsal Scholar.
“I’m a big fan of Futsal,” said the new Rovers manager. “It’s something that we introduced at the Academy a while ago now and we have enjoyed success at tournament level. The technical benefits of it are massive.
“The FA and the Premier League are right behind it and with the World Cup coming up in Brazil next year, it’s definitely something that’s going to come more and more into the English game and we’re delighted that we can be part of it.”
It doesn't matter if you have already enrolled on a college course, it's still not too late to join Blackburn Rovers 5-a-side Futsal and Education programme!
This programme is not about finding elite players. It is for young adults, aged 16-19, who want to play football for Rovers and gain a first-class education at the same time.
During the scholarship, students can earn qualifications that will help gain employment in the sport and leisure industry – possibly even with Blackburn Rovers Community Trust.
Participants will also train and compete for Blackburn Rovers in a professional Futsal environment against other professional clubs in the Football League.
Benefits of becoming a Blackburn Rovers Futsal player:
• A first-class education and a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport (equivalent of up to 3 A-Levels).
• Professional sports coaching by Blackburn Rovers Community Trust coaches and ex-professional footballers.
• Strong, well-established exit routes into university/foundation degrees.
In addition, each player will:
• Receive official Blackburn Rovers training wear, play in official Rovers match kits and have their own squad number.
• Qualify to compete in the official Football League sponsored Futsal League, against clubs including Burnley, Manchester City, Blackpool, Preston North End and Accrington Stanley, to name just a few.
• Travel to fixtures in comfort and style on a Rovers minibus.
• Gain work opportunities with Blackburn Rovers Community Trust and/or in the sport and leisure industry.
• Be given the opportunity to undertake a variety of coaching and refereeing qualifications.
• Watch the Blackburn Rovers first team play in Championship matches at Ewood Park.
• Get the opportunity to meet Rovers Academy, Reserves and first team players.
• Become part of Blackburn Rovers – representing the club through Education and Sport.
On completion of the two-year course, players will have the opportunity to prove their ability to become a Futsal player in the FA 5-a-side Futsal National League and the team that wins the North West Futsal 5-a-side League will jet off to Spain to play against Barcelona or Real Madrid!
Scholars will receive high-quality Futsal training for a minimum of six hours per week. Training will be supplemented with fortnightly fixtures against other professional clubs. Each year, two scholars will be sent to represent Rovers at the England national team trials.
The course is based at Ewood Park in the newly-refurbished Indoor Centre, with all of the matches taking place at the Regional Futsal Centre in Leeds.
What is the course?
• Full-time two-year course based at Ewood Park - the home of Blackburn Rovers.
• Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport – Equivalent to 3 A-Levels.
• 8 hours of directed education per week.
• 4-8 hours of 5-a-side Futsal per week, including training and matches.
• Males aged 16 to 19 (female recruitment coming soon!).
• GCSEs A*-C (or equivalent) in English and at least one other subject.
• To become a Blackburn Rovers Futsal Scholar or for further information, please contact Blackburn Rovers Community Trust on 01254 296256
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
to see the Futsal and Education programme in action at Exeter City.
Training at Ewood
One of the many learning resource centres at Ewood
Recreational area at the Indoor Centre
Pre and post-match player press conference area