Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Clitheroe 1 Rovers U21s 1

6 July 2013

Rovers' Under-21s opened their pre-season account with a 1-1 draw with Clitheroe at Shawbridge on Saturday afternoon.

In a match in which Clitheroe had the better of the first with Rovers having the edge in the second. Ultimately a draw was the fair result in the Lancashire sunshine.

The home side took the lead from the spot, Simon Nangle converting the penalty after being fouled by Rovers goalkeeper Matthew Urwin.

The second half saw Rovers create a host of chances and they deservedly levelled with 12 minutes later with a drilled effort into the corner of the goal from a trialist forward.

After an even opening period it was Clitheroe who started to impose themselves, Matty Urwin called upon to make a smart save at his near post on 20 minutes.

Rovers countered with a chance of their own, Jordan Slew crossing from the left and whilst Curtis Haley planted his header firmly, the ball skimmed off the top of the crossbar.

Eric Kinder's side had four trialists featuring and one almost broke the deadlock from a 33rd minute corner but he headed wide when well placed.

The home side responded a minute later, taking the lead. Simon Nangle racing through only to be upended by the onrushing Urwin in the box, the Clitheroe man making no mistake from the spot as he slammed the penalty home.

Clitheroe ended the half strongly, home advantage key on an unfamiliar surface.

A host of changes were made at the start of the second half with Rovers coming out with a greater purpose.

Almost immediately the Clitheroe goal was threatened, Academy starlet Yeray Torres seeing a near post shot well saved.

Striker Deniz Pero saw an effort deflect wide before the German would see another chance thwarted, Raheem Hanley's excellent run down the left saw Pero picked out by the cross but his shot was blocked at close-range.

Tom Brown fired narrowly over before Pero hit the side-netting following Tim Payne's pull back. Seb Usai in the Rovers goal having nothing of note to do as Rovers continued to force the pace further forward.

Academy recruit Devarn Green was next to try his luck, but after cutting inside from the left his curling right-footed shot went narrowly wide.

The equaliser arrived with 12 minutes remaining as the pressure eventually told as one of the trialist slammed a low effort across goal and into the bottom corner.

The lively Hanley teed up Pero once more after a barnstorming run but the striker fired wide before Paulo Jorge almost won it for Rovers in the closing stages but his shot across goal bounced just wide.

It was a useful exercise in testing conditions, the Under-21s go again next Saturday when they take on Southport at Haig Avenue.

Advertisement block