Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Lads defeat the Magpies

6 December 2013

Two goals in each half gave Rovers' Under-18s a 4-1 win over Newcastle United on Friday afternoon.

Rovers raced into a two-goal lead inside the opening twenty minutes thanks to goals from Dean Rittenberg and Bradley Bauress, and they could have had more before the break but in the second half it was the visitors Newcastle who posed the greater threat.

Pressure eventually told as Olivier Kemen reduced the deficit and Rovers had to withstand a barrage of chances.

But in the final moments they were able breath easier as Jordan Preston and Sam Joel got on the scoresheet to give Rovers the perfect send off ahead of next Tuesday's FA Youth Cup tie at Cardiff City.

At a chilly Brockhall it was the home side who were quickly in their stride, taking the lead after just five minutes.

Dean Rittenberg capitalised on a poor pass out from defence to find Jordan Preston who crossed for his fellow striker to steer the ball home with an acrobatic shot on the turn for his 10th of the season.

Newcastle came straight back at Rovers, David Raya having to make a great save to deny Tom Heardman, before the Rovers stopper was saved by the woodwork as Daniel Barlaser's thunderbolt struck the frame of the goal.

But Rovers made the Magpies pay for those missed chances to strike again soon after, quick thinking from a corner between Yeray Torres and Jack Doyle saw the ball played into the box, Jordan Preston couldn't flick the ball on target but it ran to Bradley Bauress who drove home from close-range.

Rovers ended the first half with Dean Rittenberg firing narrowly the bar, and started the second with Jordan Preston being played through by George Pierce but Newcastle goalkeeper Jonathan Mitchell saved well.

However from then on it was all Newcastle as they visitors laid siege to the Rovers goal.

On 55 minutes Heardman was denied by Raya after space opened up for the forward, before the Spanish stopper made a fantastic double save to thwart Macauley Booth.

But on 72 the lead was reduced as Newcastle grabbed a deserved goal. Torres easily brushed off the ball when in possession and Olivier Kemen raced through to score.

There were nervy moments at the back for Rovers as Newcastle sensed an equaliser, Raya denying Heardman once more, whilst Kemen and Barlaser both missed good chances.

With the visitors pressing, Rovers struck late and twice. Jordan Preston taking advantage of good work from substitute Sam Joel to lash home emphatically, before Joel himself got on the scoresheet with almost the last kick of the game, curling home a lovely left-footed strike.

It sets Rovers' FA Youth Cup tie at Cardiff City next Tuesday perfectly.

Speaking after the game coach David Lowe said: "We were very good in the first half, but then Newcastle came strong in the second period, pulled a goal back to make it 2-1 and we were fortunate to stay in the lead, David Raya had to make several good saves.

"But we hit them with two goals on the counter attack to seal the points, to gain a pleasing win."

ROVERS: Raya, Vicars, Doyle, Bauress, Butterwick, Pierce, Harris (sub Tanner 90 mins), Wassi, Preston, Rittenberg (sub Joel 60 mins), Torres (sub Langford 78 mins).

Subs not used: Lavelle, Wall.

Advertisement block