Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 01/04/2013

1 April 2013

Cardiff City 3-0 Rovers

Another disappointing away display saw Rovers lose 3-0 to league leaders Cardiff City on Bank Holiday Monday.

It was a comfortable afternoon for the Bluebirds who eventually got the goals to show for their dominance.

City laid seige to the Rovers area from the off but they only had Fraizer Campbell's 40th minute header to celebrate, the striker stealing in at the back post to head home from a corner.

Rovers were left to rue an offside decision that robbed Leon Best of his first goal for the club when the scores were level.

The second half saw Rovers improve after the introduction of David Dunn but it was still the home side creating the better chances. But three minutes from time Joe Mason added a second after good play by the substitute to squash any chance of a comeback.

Then deep into added time Peter Whittingham added a third from the spot deep after Mason was fouled by Scott Dann to cap a miserable afternoon in the Welsh capital.

Gary Bowyer made five changes from the side that drew 1-1 with Blackpool three days ago. Into the side came Leon Best, Colin Kazim-Richards, Danny Murphy, Morten Gamst Pedersen and David Bentley as the manager shuffled his pack.

In freezing conditions in the Welsh capital Rovers had to withstand a whirlwind of a start from the home side. 

Craig Bellamy was the architect but in supply and threat, an early corner from the former Rover having to be scrambled away before a low drive from the Welshman was claimed by Jake Kean.

The Bluebirds continues to press, their tenacious play not allowing Rovers a moments peace when in possession, and because of that they were able to create chance after chance.

Danny Murphy made an important block to deny Andrew Taylor on the overlap, before last-ditch defending from both Scott Dann and Grant Hanley kept the home side at bay.

It had been one-way traffic for the first 30 minutes, but a brief spell from Rovers almost saw them break the deadlock.

A clever flick by Colin Kazim-Richards set Josh Morris racing through, he wasn't to know that the offside flag was raised as he fired narrowly wide.

Rovers would be thwarted by a flag again four minutes later. Morten Gamst Pedersen's curling centre was met by Leon Best who guided the ball home but he had strayed a yard offside.

Cardiff came back at Rovers as the half drew to a close, Fraizer Campbell smashing an effort against the crossbar before Aron Gunnarsson lashed over.

On 39 minutes Rovers survived once more. Jake Kean saved well to deny Bellamy, then as the rebound Bellamy followed up but David Jones cleared off the line.

But a minute later the deadlock was broken. After defending set-pieces so well it was disappointing that Cardiff would score from one. Craig Bellamy delivering from the left and as Jake Kean struggled to reach the ball in a packed area, Fraizer Campbell stooped to head home at the back post.

Cardiff City deserved their half-time lead, Rovers offering very little in the attacking third.

The start of the second half saw Rovers dealt yet another injuy blow as goalkeeper Jake Kean pulled up when clearing a back-pass. The young stopper sustaining a knee injury.

As Kean was stretchered off, it meant a first Rovers outing for Grzegorz Sandomierski.

A second change was made soon after as David Dunn replaced David Bentley. Dunn immediately winning a free-kick that saw Leon Best pushed in the area but the officials were uninterestd.

Then a second free-kick from Pedersen saw the Norwegian almost catch out David Marshall, the ball catching in the wind to head towards the top corner before the 'keeper claimed high.

Jordan Rhodes was introduced with 15 minutes to go but it was the home side who had the better opportunities as Grzegorz Sandomierski was called upon to make two important saves in the space of seven minutes.

The first coming on 77 when a near-post effort from Kim Bo-Kyung had to be turned aside, then the Polish stopper showed good reactions to deny Ben Turner's close-range header.

Three minutes from time a deserved second arrived for the home side, Joe Mason turning brilliantly on the edge of the box to skip past two defenders before slipping the ball under Sandomierski.

Colin Kazim-Richards clipped the top of the bar with a deft chip as the game ticked into added time, but it was the Bluebirds who grabbd a third as Peter Whittingham scored from the spot after Scott Dann had fouled Joe Mason in the box.

CARDIFF: Marshall, Taylor, Turner, Conway, Connolly, Kim Bo-Kyung, Gunnarsson, Mutch (sub Whittingham 81 mins), Barnett, Campbell (sub Mason 58 mins), Bellamy (c) (sub Gestede 88 mins).

Subs not used: Lewis (GK), Cowie, Noone, Lappin.

Goals: Campbell 40 mins, Mason 87 mins, Whittingham 90+3 mins.

Booked: None.

ROVERS: Kean (sub Sandomierski 53 mins), Kane, Dann (c), Hanley, Morris, Bentley (sub Dunn 61 mins), Murphy (sub Rhodes 75 mins), Lowe, Pedersen, Best, Kazim-Richards.

Subs not used: Givet, Rekik, Goodwillie, Stewart. 

Goals: None.

Booked: Best, Kazim-Richards, Dann.

Attendance: 24,327.

Advertisement block