Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Wolves hit for six

3 September 2012

Rovers Ladies score six unanswered goals Wolves in their opening Premier League Cup match.

Rovers Ladies 6-0 Wolves
Premier League Cup (Group Game 1)
Sunday September 2nd, 2012

Katie Anderton scored a second-half hat-trick as Rovers Ladies kicked off their Premier League Cup campaign with a 6-0 win over Wolves.

Scott Rogers’ side, who defeated Wolves 3-0 in the league on the opening day, have now won their first three fixtures of the season, without conceding a goal.

Rovers started brightly and created two early chances, but Lagan Makin and Hannah Forster both blazed over.

However, the breakthrough arrived on 12 minutes when Forster fired over the Wolvers keeper from wide of the box. 

Rovers had further chances to extend their lead through free-kicks from Forster and Anderton, but both came to nothing. The hosts continued to dominate, with Wolves limited to the odd counter attack, but they were unable to find a second goal.

As the half wore on, Wolves grew in confidence and started to string a few passages of play together, but Rovers dealt well with their threat from set-plays. Just before the break, Nichol Forster saw a strike from the edge of the area well saved by the Wolves keeper.

Rovers again started brightly after the restart and were soon celebrating more goals. On 52 minutes, after some good work down the right, Makin forced a save from the Wolves keeper, but Steph Marsh was on hand to smash home her first goal for the club.

Makin was again denied moments later, before Rovers added a third. Nichol Forster was slid in and she coolly fired past the oncoming keeper. 

With an hour of the game gone, there was still time for an Anderton hat-trick. The first arrived on 62 minutes with a well taken shot from inside the area.

Makin then forced a fine save from the Wolves keeper after going through on goal, before Anderton grabbed her second when she carried the ball through the Wolves defence and slotted home. 

Hannah Forster and Kim Turner then both saw efforts saved, before Krystal Parker pulled off a superb save and Rhiannon Roberts made a great last-ditch tackle to keep Rovers’ clean sheet intact.

Anderton then completed her hat-trick eight minutes from time with a left-foot finish into the bottom corner.

Scott said: “I am absolutely delighted for the girls. It was important we got off to a good start in this group and with Wolves coming into it the standard has increased. 

“Today was very pleasing because our forward play was ruthless and clinical. Wolves are a good, young side and they will cause many problems for teams in this league, so to win so comfortably was a good feeling. 

“We have to now put the cup to one side, as we have a massive league game next week away to Preston. We have to concentrate on that now because it will be a very difficult game, but I’m sure the girls will be looking forward to the challenge.”

Rovers: Parker, Oates (Pennington 46), Twohig, Roberts, Marsh, Makin, Westerman, H. Forster, N. Forster, Anderton, Savage (Turner 65).

Advertisement block