Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Ladies lose at Forest

18 September 2012

Rovers Ladies suffered their first defeat of the season, going down 3-2 away to Nottingham Forest.

Nottingham Forest 3-2 Rovers Ladies
Premier League Northern Division
Sunday September 16th, 2012

Rovers Ladies suffered their first defeat of the season, going down 3-2 away to Nottingham Forest.

Scott Rogers’ side had led 2-1 thanks to goals from Nichol Forster and Katie Anderton, but a contentious refereeing call midway through the second half turned the contest in Forest’s favour.

The game started end-to-end, which set the tone for the remainder of the match. Forest created the two best chances early on, but the first went high and wide and the next effort hit the base of the post.

Rovers struggled to get their passing game going and looked most dangerous on the break. One threaded through ball by Kim Turner sent Nichol Forster scampering clear, but she fired straight at the Forest keeper. 

Moments later, Rovers hit the bar, but no-one was on hand to follow in and just past the half-hour mark, Forest took the lead. Former Rover Andrea Bell managed to wriggle free down the flank and lofted the ball into the back of the net. 

The lead was short-lived however, as Rovers responded within minutes. A good passage of play saw the ball moved down the left and Anderton crossed for Nichol Forster to head home from close range. The Rovers striker had to be taken off just before half-time due to the head injury she picked up in the process of getting the goal.

Rovers started brightly after the break, with Anderton forcing a smart save from the Forest keeper less than three minutes in and from the resulting corner, Anderton’s whipped delivery eluded everyone and curled into the far corner. 

The visitors had an opportunity to extend the lead further but, were wasteful with the chance. Forest created very little in the second half, with a wayward free-kick the closest they came. 

But the turning point arrived on 70 minutes when the referee awarded a dubious penalty decision and Aileen Whelan made no mistake from the spot.

The goal rocked Rovers and as they pushed to find a winner, Forest broke and substitute Reanne Thomas sneaked in to head home four minutes from time.

Scott said: “We are obviously very disappointed. I felt at 2-1 we were comfortable and in control of the game, then a poor refereeing decision has cost us. 

“The decision had a major impact on the game, as it killed our momentum at a time when we were trying to kill the game off. 

“We need a positive reaction from the players and I am sure we will get it. The girls will work hard this week and we need to get back to winning ways quickly and not let this derail our season.”

ROVERS: Jackson, Oates, Roberts, Bennett, Marsh, Twohig, Turner, H. Forster Anderton, Makin (Donoghue 73), N. Forster (Savage 40).

Subs not used: Pennington.

Advertisement block