Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Charlton Athletic 1 Rovers 1

29 September 2012

Rovers' unbeaten away record continues with a well-earned point at The Valley

Rovers picked up another point on the road after a hard-fought draw with Charlton Athletic.

Dickson Etuhu fired Rovers in front with his first goal for the club just past the quarter hour, but the home side levelled on 27 minutes when Johnnie Jackson atoned for his penalty miss moments early when he diverted Danny Green's shot into the roof of the net.

Charlton dominated the game for the majority of the match with Green having the best of the chances, whilst Nuno Gomes went close for Rovers at the other end.

Bradley Wright-Phillips could have sealed victory for the Addicks with the last kick of the game but Paul Robinson tipped over the striker's overhead kick.

Under the charge of Eric Black Rovers made two changes from the side that lost to Middlesbrough last time out.

Back into the starting eleven came Morten Gamst Pedersen and Jason Lowe, with Fabio Nunes and Bruno Ribeiro dropping to the bench.

In the south London sunshine the game was slow to get going and it wasn't until the 15th minute that the first effort at goal was registered.

It came from the home side who had started the better, Salim Kerkar drilling the ball hard and low through a host of bodies in the area but the midfielder saw his effort flash inches past Paul Robinson's post.

Yet a minute later it was Rovers celebrating the first goal of the game with a sweeping move.

It was started and finished by Dickson Etuhu, the Nigerian sending the ball up to Jordan Rhodes who played it back to Nuno Gomes and he picked out the advancing run of Etuhu and he finished in fine style.

It was Dickson's first goal for Rovers.

But the visitors didn't make more of the goal and allowed Charlton to have a period of pressure which ultimately lead to the home side being awarded a penalty on 26 minutes as Scott Dann was adjudged to have pushed Leon Cort to the ground in the area.

Charlton captain Johnnie Jackson stepped up to take the honours but his low shot was kept out by the legs of Robinson sparking jubilant scenes from the Rovers fans behind his goal.

But those celebrations were quickly extinguished as from the resulting throw into the area Rovers didn't clear their lines and as Danny Green fired the ball goalwards it flicked off Jackson and looped past Robinson and into the back of the net.

The home side continued to force the pace with Givet, Orr and Olsson all making important blocks whilst Danny Green was the thickness of a post from putting them in front at the break when his shot from the edge of the area clipped the woodwork.

Rovers were dealt a blow at the start of the second half when an injury to Gael Givet meant he didn't reappear. Grant Hanley on as his replacement.

The home side continued the momentum they had built up before the break with the first opportunity of the second half.

It came from a corner from the right that found Leon Cort at the back post but Paul Robinson did brilliantly to claw his header away on his line.

Then another ball in from the right gave the Addicks a chance as Salim Kerkar's centre skimmed off defender Michael Morrison which caught out Bradley Wright-Phillips as the ball bounced off the forward and behind.

Rovers responded with a chance of their own, Nuno Gomes doing well to hit a bouncing ball on the half volley that whistled narrowly over the bar.

Charlton's biggest threat was from wide man Danny Green. The first half had seen him strike the post with an effort from  distance and on 73 minutes he let fly again from outside the area with the ball going narrowly over the bar.

Six minutes from time Green would go close as Charlton broke quickly, Paul Robinson saving well to turn the ball aside.

Chances for Jordan Rhodes were few and far between as he toiled without joy up front, but he went close with an 89th minute header, leaping high to reach Jason Lowe's cross he sent the ball towards goal but it bounced just the wrong side of the post.

The last act of the match was, as had been for the majority of the game, with the home side in the 94th minute. A ball into the box was cleared as far as Laurie Wilson and he teed up Bradley Wright-Phillips for an overhead kick that Robinson tipped over the bar.

Rovers maintain their unbeaten away record, but they were made to work hard by a lively Charlton side.

Next up is a trip to the City Ground to face Nottingham Forest on Wednesday.

CHARLTON: Hamer, Jackson (sub Pritchard 53 mins), Morrison, Green, Stephens, Wright-Phillips, Kerkar (sub Evina 90 mins), Solly, Hollands, Wilson, Cort.

Subs not used: Button (GK), Wagstaff, Cook, Smith, Dervite.

Goals: Jackson 27 mins.

Booked: None.

ROVERS: Robinson, Orr, Dann, Givet (sub Hanley 46 mins), Olsson, Lowe, Murphy, Etuhu, Pedersen, Nuno Gomes (sub Dunn 73 mins), Rhodes.

Subs not used: Kean (GK), Fabio Nunes, Formica, Rochina, Ribeiro.

Goals: Etuhu 16 mins.

Booked: Murphy, Lowe.

Attendance: 17,169

Advertisement block