Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 15/12/2012

15 December 2012

Blackpool 2-0 Rovers

Rovers suffered woe on the road as they were defeated 2-0 by Blackpool at Bloomfield Road.

After a first half in which Rovers dominated without reward, they found themselves a goal down after Wes Thomas nodded home Nathan Delfouneso's centre.

Seasiders' stopper Matt Gilks had earlier denied Jordan Rhodes and Simon Vukcevic before the Serbian, making his first league start of the season, struck the post with a shot on the turn.

Despite looking lively in the first half, Rovers disappointed in the second and none moreso on 81 minutes when an unmarked Kirk Broadfoot powered home Blackpool's second.

Rovers' rallied at the death but it was too little too late, Josh King denied by Gilks before Gael Givet saw a late scrambled goal chalked off.

Four changes were made from last Friday's defeat at the hands of Cardiff City. Jake Kean and Simon Vukcevic were brought in for their first league start of the season in goal, whilst Gael Givet and Colin Kazim-Richards all stepped into the starting eleven.

That saw Paul Robinson and Grant Hanley drop to the bench, illness forced Markus Olsson out of the squad, whilst injury also saw Mauro Formica, Nuno Gomes, Danny Murphy and Fabio Nunes absent.

Despite the chilly conditions it was Rovers who were lively starters at Bloomfield Road, going at the home side from the off.

Rovers threatened early from a Colin Kazim-Richards throw from the right, the ball running through to Simon Vukcevic but he fired over when well placed.

The visitors continued to force the pace and on 18 minutes they were denied on two occasions by Blackpool 'keeper Matt Gilks. A long clearance from Gael Givet allowed Jordan Rhodes to charge forward, he shot left footed but Gilks pushed the ball aside, Rovers kept the play alive but Gilks was alert to tip Vukcevic's near post effort aside.

But despite the first twenty minutes being all Rovers, it was the Seasiders who took the lead on 22 minutes with a very straightforward goal.

Rovers should have defended better as Adam Henley was left with two men to mark on the right, Nathan Delfouneso taking full advantage to cross where Wes Thomas ghosted in between Scott Dann and Gael Givet to nod into the corner of the goal.

Unbowed Rovers continued to pepper the Blackpool goal with shots, Dickson Etuhu firing wide after good work from Kazim-Richards and Josh King.

As the half drew to a close the home side started to come more into the game. Prompted by Thomas Ince, Blackpool went close with a Tiago Gomes free-kick that was tipped over before Scott Dann made a vital block to thwart Ince after he had skipped past Henley and Vukcevic.

A lovely dummy from Kazim-Richards saw him get round Bob Harris with ease but neither King nor Rhodes could capitalise on the opportunity, Gilks just claiming the ball before the fast arriving Olsson could poke home.

The last action of the half lead to Rovers' best chance, Simon Vukcevic catching the Blackpool defence out with a turn and shot, Gilks watching on as the ball bounced off the foot of the post and away.

In contrast to the first, the second half was certainly slower to get going. The attacking threat generally coming from the home side.

It wasn't until the hour mark that either goalkeeper was tested. Firstly Jake Kean was down well to deny Thomas Ince after he had tricked his way through.

Then at the other end Matt Gilks had to make two important punches in succession to quell a barrage of Rovers' crosses into the Blackpool penalty area.

Blackpool continued to carry the greater threat but it wasn't until ten minutes to go that they got their second goal.

Jake Kean had done well to save Bob Harris' free-kick, diving to turn the shot aside, but the young goalkeeper was powerless as poor marking from a set-piece was again their downfall. Tiago Gomes delivering from the right and unmarked centre half Kirk Broadfoot couldn't miss with a bullet header.

Suddenly the home side sensed more goals, Blackpool captain Alex Baptiste taking on the Rovers' backline before firing wide left-footed.

Despite the game being seemingly over, there was then a flurry of chances as the game entered six minutes of added time.

Trickery from Ruben Rochina was followed by a slide-rule pass that played in Josh King but Gilks made a superb one-handed save.  Then following a corner kick, Gael Givet bundled the ball into the back of the net only to see it chalked off for offside.

There was further drama at the other end with Scott Dann a relieved man after seeing his backwards header bounce off his own upright.

In the final added minute Ruben Rochina let fly from 35 yards out, the ball going high into the home fans behind the goal, it summed up Rovers' afternoon.

BLACKPOOL: Gilks, Gomes, Ince (sub Dicko 83 mins), Baptiste (c), Osbourne, Cathcart, Angel, Harris, Thomas (sub Taylor-Fletcher 70 mins), Delfouneso, Broadfoot.

Subs not used: Halstead (GK), Eardley, Phillips, Noguera, Bruna.

Goals: Thomas 22 mins, Broadfoot 81 mins.

Booked: None.

ROVERS: Kean, Henley, Dann (c), Givet, Martin Olsson, Vukcevic (sub Rochina 74 mins), Lowe, Etuhu, King, Kazim-Richards, Rhodes.

Subs not used: Robinson (GK), Hanley, Ribeiro, Pedersen, Rosado, Dunn.

Goals: None.

Booked: King. 

Attendance: 15,907.

Advertisement block