Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 07/12/2012

7 December 2012

Rovers 1-4 Cardiff City

Henning Berg still awaits his first home win as manager after Rovers were swept aside by a lively Cardiff City side 4-1 at Ewood Park.

The visitors lead at the break thanks to Cardiff captain Mark Hudson's 30th minute header and although Joshua King gave Rovers brief hope with his first goal for the club after the restart.

Craig Bellamy immediately responded against his former club but Mauro Formica missed a glorious chance to level once more when he could only strike the crossbar from eight yards.

That miss would prove costly as two Cardiff substitutes would take advantage of poor Rovers defending, Joe Mason and Kim Bo-Kyung making it a miserable night for the home side.

Rovers made three changes from the derby day draw with Burnley.

With Danny Murphy absent with a hamstring strain it meant a return to the starting eleven for Dickson Etuhu who had missed the Turf Moor clash with a virus.

Markus Olsson and Joshua King were named in the starting eleven, taking the place of Morten Gamst Pedersen and Colin Kazim-Richards respectively. The duo dropping to the bench.

Cardiff front two never giving Dann and Hanley a moments peace, the same in the centre of midfield,cutting out the supply line.

In chilly conditions at Ewood Park, the game was slow to get going but it was the visitors who were in control of the early proceedings, playing with the confidence of a side at the top of the table.

Rovers had shown promise through the forward runs of Joshua King and Mauro Formica, but when it came to finding that killer pass or a shot at goal, they were left wanting.

The visitors had no such trouble and took the lead on 30 minutes with a simple move and goal. A free-kick was played out to the right where Craig Noone centred for Bluebirds' captain Mark Hudson to outpace his marker and comfortably head home.

It was a disappointing goal for Rovers to concede and they struggled to find a response, a handful of corners offered hope but the visitors dealt with them with ease.

At the other end Rovers were struggling to cope with the forward play of the experienced Craig Bellamy and Heidar Helguson.

On 44 a ball through from the lively Noone saw former Rover Bellamy race through on goal but his effort across goal smashed off the crossbar and away to safety.

Unimpressed with the first half showing, Henning Berg made a change at the break with Colin Kazim-Richards replacing Markus Olsson.

Almost immediately it had the desired effect, the Turkish international showing a great touch and control to turn and play in Joshua King and he raced through on goal to finish in style under David Marshall.

The Rovers striker then saw a fierce shot deflected just wide of goal, but unfortunately for Kazim-Richards he would unwittingly play a part in the visitors regaining the lead on 56 minutes as a ball to the edge of the box was headed back by the Rovers frontman, it then deflected into the path of Heidar Helguson who played in Craig Bellamy to finish past Paul Robinson.

Rovers immediately looked to get back into the game, a lovely touch from Kazim-Richards saw him find Jordan Rhodes, he in turn found Mauro Formica, but a rush of blood from the Argentine saw him shoot high over the bar.

A minute later and Formica would miss a much easier chance. More pressure on the City back line saw Dickson Etuhu's shot well-saved by Marshall, Rhodes played it back across goal but somehow, with the goal at his mercy, Formica fired over the bar.

Rovers continued to look for a way back into the game, Jason Lowe saw a shot deflected just wide, Rhodes unable to make more of a through ball from Fabio Nunes, although Hudson was fortunate not to receive a second yellow for being too eager in preventing Rhodes' run.

On 83 minutes another great chance fell Rovers' way as lovely interplay from Rhodes and Kazim-Richards, King was through once more but a fantastic tackle from the man fortunate to be on, Mark Hudson, saw the chance gone.

Any chance of a way back into the game evaporated with a pair of goals from a pair of substitutes five minutes from time.

A hopeful ball upfield saw Joe Mason beat Scott Dann with a simple nod past the defender, the striker powering through to beat Robinson with a low shot into the corner.

Sixty seconds later and Cardiff were queuing up to add a fourth, Kim Bo-Kyung applying the finishing touch after Dann's error.

The first half saw the visitors dominate but score just the once, Rovers were much improved after the break but ended up ruing missed chances.

ROVERS: Robinson, Henley, Dann, Hanley, Martin Olsson, Formica (sub Fabio Nunes 70 mins), Etuhu (sub Rochina 81 mins), Lowe, Markus Olsson (sub Kazim-Richards 46 mins), King, Rhodes.

Subs not used: Kean (GK), Givet, Pedersen, Vukcevic.

Goals: King 51 mins.

Booked: Lowe, Martin Olsson, Hanley.

CARDIFF CITY: Marshall, Taylor, Hudson (c), Turner, Whittingham, Cowie, Conway, Connolly, Noone (sub Bo-Kyung 70 mins), Helguson (sub Gestede 90 mins), Bellamy (sub Mason 81 mins).

Subs not used: Lewis (GK), Gunnarsson, Lappin.

Goals: Hudson 30 mins, Bellamy 56 mins, Mason 84 mins, Bo-Kyung 85 mins.

Booked: Hudson, Noone, Helguson.

Attendance: 12,460

Advertisement block