Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 02/12/2012

2 December 2012

Burnley 1-1 Rovers

It ended all square in the first East Lancashire derby after Sam Vokes robbed Rovers of all three points with a goal at the death.

The home side dominated the opening half with Paul Robinson saving to deny Austin and Paterson, but it was Rovers who had the better of the second with Colin Kazim-Richards and Grant Hanley going close.

Jordan Rhodes looked to have set Rovers on their way to victory when he headed them in front on 68 minutes of this tense and nervy Turf Moor encounter. His 15th goal of the campaign.

But a minute from time the home side claimed a share of the spoils when Vokes, on as a substitute for just 90 seconds, nodded home a Junior Stanislas free-kick.

For derby day boss Henning Berg made three changes for the Turf Moor clash.

After impressing as substitutes in the midweek match against Bolton, Colin Kazim-Richards, Jason Lowe and Morten Gamst Pedersen all came into the starting eleven.

Joshua King and Ruben Rochina dropped to the bench whilst Dickson Etuhu missed out because of illness.

Burnley made just the one change, Dean Marney returning after suspension, Marvin Bartley the man making way.

In the chilly December sunshine it was a tense edgy start to the game, plenty of tackles, plenty of endeavour but little in the way of quality for the first ten minutes.

Ross Wallace had the first attempt at goal, the Scotsman firing over after Chris McCann couldn't take advantage of Martin Paterson's cut-back.

Scott Dann was alert with an important block to thwart Charlie Austin before after Paul Robinson had parried Wallace's ball across the area, Burnley captain Jason Shackell volleyed over the bar.

Rovers attacks were few and far between, a free-kick from Morten Gamst Pedersen saw the ball fall into the path of Danny Murphy, his left-foot strike was blocked, but as he lost his balance on the follow-up, Murphy fired wide.

The last 15 minutes of the first half centred fully around Paul Robinson's goal with the Rovers goalkeeper the difference between the two sides.

On 34 minutes Ross Wallace cut inside to shoot left-footed, Robinson parried away. From the resulting short corner a scramble ensued before the Rovers stopper saved brilliantly to tip aside Charlie Austin's back post header.

The home side continued to force the pace, Martin Paterson the next player to try his luck from 20 yards, Robinson at full stretch to push aside the midfielder's effort.

Like the first half the second took time to get going, but when it did it was Rovers who were very much in the ascendency.

It was the introduction of Joshua King that provided the spark that was required after a quiet first half from the visitors.

Immediately after his arrival the Norwegian international showed great pace to trouble the Burnley back line, taking on two before feeding Colin Kazim-Richards who nonchalantly flicked goalwards with the outside of his boot, the ball flashing inches wide of the far post.

Roared on by 3400 Rovers fans they sensed this was their chance to open the scoring and when it arrived on 68 minutes it came from a very familiar source.

The goal began by brilliant play by Adam Henley, the young full back taking the ball past two players before passing onto Mauro Formica and the Argentine advanced before crossing to where Jordan Rhodes stooped to head beyond Grant and into the back of the net sending the visiting support into raptures.

Two minutes later and it was almost two for Rovers. After Colin Kazim-Richards had been fouled. Danny Murphy's inswinging free-kick was first glanced by Formica and then headed goalwards by Grant Hanley but Burnley 'keeper Lee Grant claimed the ball.

But inevitably the pressure swung the other way as the game entered the final stages. The home fans forcing a series of corner kicks which were well defended, Scott Dann outstanding at the back.

With the last throw of the dice, Burnley boss Sean Dyche sent on striker Sam Vokes in a bid to rescue the match and within 90 seconds the move had paid off.

Rovers substitute Simon Vukcevic conceded a soft free-kick and as Junior Stanislas sent the ball into the box from the left it was Vokes who applied the vital touch to put it beyond Paul Robinson.

A minute later and Rovers were relieved as Vokes headed narrowly over another chance and although there would be four additional minutes played there was to be no additional drama as the first East Lancs derby ended all square.

BURNLEY: Grant, Mee, Shackell (c), Duff, Trippier, Stock (sub Ings 75 mins), Marney, McCann (sub Vokes 87 mins), Wallace, Paterson (sub Stanislas 75 mins), Austin.

Subs not used: Jensen (GK), Lafferty, Edgar, Bartley

Goals: Vokes 89 mins.

Booked: Duff.

ROVERS: Robinson, Henley, Dann, Hanley, Martin Olsson, Formica (sub Vukcevic 79 mins), Lowe, Murphy (c), Pedersen (sub King 55 mins), Rhodes, Kazim-Richards.

Subs not used: Kean, Givet, Dunn. Markus Olsson, Rochina.

Goals: Rhodes 68 mins.

Booked: Murphy.

Attendance: 21,341

Advertisement block