Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Academy draw with Arsenal

27 August 2012

A debut goal from Deniz Pero earns the u18s a share of the spoils.

The under 18s second game of the season saw them earn a creditable home draw against Arsenal on Saturday.

The goals came in the second half as the visitors took the lead three minutes after the turnaround courtesy of John Toral, but just over ten minutes after coming on as a substitute, forward Deniz Pero headed Rovers level to earn a share of the points.

Both sides had chances to win the game in the closing stages, but a draw was a fair reflection in an entertaining match.

Despite the rainy conditions at Brockhall the game started with a flurry of chances.

Just three minutes in and Rovers were grateful for Spanish goalkeeper David Raya as he made an important early save to deny Alex Iwobi.

Rovers went straight up the other end with a chance of their own, captain Bradley Mason heading a Danny Laverty cross from the right narrowly wide.

Chances continued to be exchanged, Anthony Jeffrey seeing his shot saved by Raya whilst Jordan Preston saw an effort cannon off the legs of Stuart Moore in the Arsenal goal.

Arsenal's best chance of the half came from poor decision making by Rovers. Attempting to play out from the back Ryan Thompson was closed down and as he returned the ball to David Raya, the 'keeper could only play it into the path of the Arsenal attacker but somehow John Toral fired over with the goal at his mercy.

As had been the pattern of the first half Rovers then missed a great chance of their own. Following a corner an almighty scramble ensued but defender Will Butterwick lashed the ball wide.

A torrential downpour at the break didn't dampen spirits as the two sides came out once more with attacking intent.

Straight from the restart Danny Laverty fed Ryan Humphreys inside the box but his shot lacked power and was comfortable for Moore to claim.

The first half had seen Rovers escape when caught in possession on the edge of their own box, but on 48 minutes they wouldn't be lucky a second time.

Under pressure Raya played the ball out which was quickly seized upon and Arsenal captain John Toral fired home.

Again Rovers came back at their opponents, Bradley Mason seeing his clever chip tipped over by Moore.

Coach Terry McPhillips brought on Deniz Pero and then Modou Cham for their first starts of the season and in no time at all it had the desired affect.

On 66 minutes Rovers were awarded a free-kick to the right of the area and as Tom Brown sent the ball into the packed penalty box it was Deniz Pero who stooped to head home.

It was the young German's first goal for the club, 11 minutes after making his debut.

That goal energised Rovers further with Pero seeing a shot deflected wide whilst Ryan Humphreys was off target with a header from a Laverty cross.

Arsenal could have stole victory at the death but from a tight angle Anthony Jeffrey could only find the side-netting with a shot from the right.

Despite the rainy conditions it had been an entertaining game between two attacking sides, the draw a fair reflection on the game.

ROVERS: Raya, Vickers, Witele-Tamina, Brown, Butterwick, Thompson, Laverty, Mason (c), Preston (sub Pero 55 mins), Wassi (sub Cham 65 mins), Humphreys.

Subs not used: Harris, Bauress, Rittenberg.

Advertisement block