Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

19 August 2019 Venue King Power Stadium Attendance

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Leicester City PL2
1 - 1
Blackburn Rovers PL2

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Preview: Leicester City U23s v Rovers U23s

A look ahead to tonight's clash against The Foxes at the King Power Stadium

19 August 2019

Rovers return to action in Premier League 2 this evening with a trip to the King Power Stadium to tackle Leicester City.

Rovers will be aiming to get back on track after suffering an opening day defeat to Arsenal at Leyland last week, whilst Leicester drew 0-0 away at Everton.

Tom White could return from injury to feature against The Foxes, whilst senior duo Harry Chapman and Sam Hart could also play a part in the encounter.

Chapman has found game time hard to come by so far this season, whilst Hart has been out of action since picking up a hamstring injury against Bury in the penultimate pre-season friendly of the summer.

Having missed last week's encounter against Arsenal at Leyland, Andy Fisher could return to the side in place of youngster Jordan Eastham.

The call could also arrive for Joe Grayson and Matty Platt to get a run-out, with the young defensive duo starting the Carabao Cup victory over Oldham Athletic last week.

The hosts could include Poland international Bartosz Kapustka in their team, whilst Callum Wright - a former Rovers Academy graduate - is likely to be a part of the home side's squad.

Kick-off this evening at the King Power is at 7pm and we will be covering the game across our social media channels.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Leicester City U23s 1-1 Rovers U23s

Battling Rovers pick up a point on the road to get up and running in Premier League 2

19 August 2019

A second half strike from Joe Grayson ensured Rovers got off the mark in Premier League 2 in Billy Barr's first game as permanent manager.

Grayson levelled the score against Leicester City at a chilly King Power Stadium after Ali Reghba's early opener for the hosts had handed The Foxes a half time advantage.

But Rovers improved after the break and deservedly worked a goal themselves through Grayson's close range finish, against a club for whom father Simon represented more than 200 times in the early 1990s.

The visitors will count themselves unfortunate to have not earned more for their efforts, with Joe Rankin-Costello twice going close to finding the net before the equaliser.

But there could well have been late heartache for Rovers, with Andy Fisher producing an excellent stop late on to ensure the visitors of a precious point on the road.

Sam Hart and Harry Chapman were two of seven changes made by new boss Barr for the clash against The Foxes, whilst the hosts included a Rovers Academy graduate in Callum Wright, who moved to Leicester in January 2018 for an undisclosed fee, in their starting XI. 

The experienced Swiss stopper Eldin Jakupović, formerly of Hull City, started in goal for the hosts, who themselves made a number of alterations from last week's draw at Everton.

The visitors got off to the worst possible start as Leicester took the lead inside the opening two minutes on home turf. Reghba was threaded in behind the Rovers backline before calmly sliding the ball under the onrushing Fisher and into the back of the net.

Rovers responded well, with Chapman seeing his effort deflect just past the post after the winger weaved away from a couple of opponents before cutting in and going for goal.

At the other end, only the toes of skipper Matty Platt stopped George Thomas' pass from reaching Reghba, before the home striker saw Fisher in his way to touch his close range effort onto the post soon after.

Barr's boys had had more of the ball, but had struggled to create too many chances of note against a resolute Foxes side, who went in at the break with a narrow advantage.

But just moments into the second half that advantage could have been doubled.

Tom White's pass was cut out by Thomas, and neat interplay eventually led to a chance falling the way of Admiral Muskwe, who fluffed his lines and scuffed wide of Fisher's right-hand post.

Two quickfire chances came the way of Rovers and Joe Rankin-Costello just before the hour as Barr's side upped the ante looking for a route back into the game.

A fine run from the rampaging right back saw his strike tipped away for a corner by Jakupovic, before the same player was denied by the home stopper just a moment later after Platt's header back across goal fell into the youngster's path.

Rovers looked to have renewed belief, and just after the hour the equaliser deservedly arrived.

Chapman took a smart free kick, and his low ball into the box was flicked home by Grayson, who had shown good movement to escape his marker.

It looked like it would end all square with time running out, but Rovers were left thankful for Fisher, who bravely stood tall to stop Muskwe from bagging what would have been a late Leicester winner with just three minutes of the encounter remaining.

The drama didn't stop there, with Stefan Mols close to a late, late Rovers winner in the dying embers of the game, only for Jakupovic to save, before Thomas blazed over at the other end with the last kick of the game.

The result ensured Rovers got up and running in Premier League 2, with Wolves next to visit Leyland on Friday night, kick-off 7pm.

Leicester City U23s: Jakupović, Daley-Campbell (Clark, 58), Benković, Hughes (Pascanu, 74), Ughelumba, Wright (Tee, 77), Dewsbury-Hall, Leshabela, G. Thomas (c), Muskwe, Reghba.

Unused substitutes: Johansson, L. Thomas.

Goal: Reghba, 2

Booked: Daley-Campbell.

Rovers U23s: Fisher, Rankin-Costello, Hart (Thompson, 46), Doyle, Platt (c), Grayson, White, Lyons, Chapman, Mols, Vale.

Unused substitutes: Hilton, Anneseley, Barnes, Brennan.

Goal: Grayson, 64

Booked: White, 62

Referee: James Bell

Advertisement block

Advertisement block