Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

31 August 2018 Venue Leyland County Ground Attendance

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Blackburn Rovers PL2
0 - 3
Everton PL2

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Rovers U23s 0 Everton U23s 3

Three goals without reply see Rovers go down at Leyland against the Toffees on Friday night

31 August 2018

Sponsored by

Antony Evans scored a goal in each half to help Everton Under-23s to a 3-0 victory against Rovers Under-23s at Leyland.

The attacking midfielder produced an accomplished display on the night, scoring two and going close to adding to his and the visitors' tally.

He scored either side of Nathan Broadhead's simple finish to earn a comfortable victory for David Unsworth's outfit as Rovers suffered their third successive defeat in Premier League 2.

Damien Johnson had to shuffle the pack and made four changes to the side from the one that suffered defeat at Derby County earlier in the week.

Andy Fisher and Sam Barnes were both left out of the squad, whilst loaned out duo Sam Hart and Lewis Hardcastle also were unavailable. The quartet were replaced by Ollie Byrne, Joe Grayson, Ben Paton and Jack Vale.

Everton included two players with first team experience as Brendan Galloway and Tyias Browning were both included in the XI.

In a tightly contested opening to the encounter, John Buckley went close for Rovers but after cutting in from the right and beating a couple of opponents, fired a left-footed effort over Joao Virginia's upright on 17 minutes.

At the other end, Fraser Hornby cracked the post from range as the visitors tried to find some rhythm to their play.

With 10 minutes of the half remaining the Toffees took the lead as Evans let fly from 25 yards and saw his attempt kiss Byrne's right-hand post before nestling in the back of the net.

Hornby tested Byrne just a minute later as Unsworth's side attempted to double their lead in quick fashion, whilst in added time in the half, Okera Simmonds had a penalty appeal waved away by referee James Oldham.

Rovers went into the break down but not out and improved at the beginning of the second half, but it was Everton who went closest to scoring early on as Harry Charsley curled a shot wide of Byrne's goal from the edge of the box.

The lively Evans went close on two occasions just before the hour mark but fired wide and then over as Rovers kept things tight.

But after the hour, the visitors did get their second of the night as Bassala Sambou's low cross from the right found Nathan Broadhead who sent Byrne the wrong way from close range.

Evans was causing problems and he clipped the bar from another effort outside the box for the Merseysiders before finding the net for his second and his side's third.

After substitute Charlie Albinson beat an effort out, it fell kindly to the midfielder who tapped home from a yard out with full time looming.

And that was to be the last notable action of the evening as the Toffees ran out deserved winners.

The Development Squad are back in action on Monday 17th September when Arsenal head to East Lancashire. The game will take place at Ewood Park, kick-off 7pm.

Rovers U23s: Byrne (Albinson, 83), Buckley, Evans, Tomlinson, Carter, Grayson (c), Mols, Paton (Mansell, 63), Vale, Butterworth, Simmonds.

Unused substitutes: Thompson, Wilson, Whitehall.

Everton U23sVirginia, Markelo, Galloway, Charsley, Browning, Feeney (c), Evans, Adeniran (Foulds, 85), Hornby (Gordon, 75), Sambou (Lavery, 86), Broadhead.

Unused substitutes: Hilton, Bowler. 

Booked: Broadhead, 58

Goal: Evans, 35, 88, Broadhead, 66

Referee: James Oldham

Advertisement block

Advertisement block