Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

23 October 2018 Venue Liberty Stadium Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - Championship

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Swansea City 3 Rovers 1

Three second half Swans goals see Rovers' midweek trip to Wales end in disappointment

23 October 2018

Sponsored by

Three second half goals proved the difference as Rovers suffered a defeat to Swansea City on Tuesday night at the Liberty Stadium.

After Charlie Mulgrew had given Rovers a half time lead, Swansea produced three goals without reply, with the first coming in fortuitous circumstances.

A David Raya own goal was unfortunate for the visitors after Jay Fulton's strike bounced off the post, onto the Spaniard's back and trickled into the net.

From there, the hosts grabbed two more to make the scoreline more secure through Connor Roberts and then Bersant Celina with a few minutes remaining to make the game safe.

For the first time this season, Tony Mowbray named an unchanged starting XI for the second game of the week as his side searched for a third consecutive victory in the Championship.

That meant Elliott Bennett continued at right back to celebrate his 400th career appearance, whilst there were also milestones for Mulgrew and Amari'i Bell. The skipper made his 100th league start in English football, whilst Amari'i appeared for the 200th time in his career.

After Celina fired over 10 minutes into the clash, Rovers were forced into an early alteration as Darragh Lenihan was forced off with a hip injury and was replaced by Jack Rodwell at the heart of the Rovers backline.

Midway through the half a flowing move saw Adam Armstrong and Bell combine down the left and after the left back was hacked down in the box, up stepped Mulgrew who sent Kristoffer Nordfeldt the wrong way from the spot and hand Rovers the advantage.

The hosts searched for a response and with four minutes of the half remaining, ex-Rovers loanee Matt Grimes fired a right footed effort wide from the edge of the box after a Celina free kick was cleared into his path.

In a half of few chances, Rovers went in with that crucial advantage at the break, which was maybe just about deserved for their efforts.

Graham Potter made a double change at half time, with former Rover Martin Olsson and Tom Carroll being replaced by the experienced Dutchman Leroy Fer and Jay Fulton.

As expected, Rovers had to ride out a home storm, with Celina curling over the bar after a cutback from Kyle Naughton nine minutes after the break.

Former Swansea frontman Danny Graham was given a warm applause from all supporters as he was replaced just before the hour with Ben Brereton replacing the 33-year-old.

And four minutes later the hosts found an equaliser out of nothing. Fulton went for goal from range and after his strike crashed agains the post, it hit Raya on the back and dribbled into the back of the net.

One soon became two in the blink of an eye, as four minutes later the home side turned the game on its head as a good run from Daniel James saw the winger thread the ball through to Roberts, who tucked into the bottom corner.

That gave Potter's men confidence and the dangerous James produced another excellent run before seeing his venomous effort clip the post before going behind.

With 15 minutes to go it was James again who was ruing his luck as another effort flicked off the top of the crossbar before going out for a throw in.

Rovers weren't done through and a teasing Armstrong ball to the back post found Bennett sneaking in, but the milestone man saw Nordfeldt in his way to deny an equaliser.

Nordfeldt was there again just a minute later to produce an excellent save to stop Bradley Dack before Celina wrapped things up 30 seconds later; latching onto Fer's through ball to delicately dink over the onrushing Raya to make it 3-1 with five minutes to go.

The neat, composed finish sucked the life out of Rovers, who had been pressing to level things up.

That was to be the last notable action of the game in Wales, as Rovers' two-game winning run came to an end.

A chance to get back on track comes on Saturday afternoon when Rovers take on West Bromwich Albion at the Hawthorns. You can purchase your tickets by clicking here.

Swansea City: Nordfelt, Roberts, van der Hoorn (c), Olsson (Fulton, 46), Carroll (Fer, 46), Naughton, Grimes, Celina, McBurnie (Baker-Richardson, 89), James, Carter-Vickers.

Unused substitutes: Mulder, McKay, Rodon, Asoro, Baker-Richards.

Goal: Raya OG, 64, Roberts, 68, Celina, 85.

Rovers: Raya, Bennett, Lenihan (Rodwell, 11), Mulgrew (c), Bell, Evans (Rothwell, 70), Smallwood, Reed, Dack, Armstrong, Graham (Brereton, 59).

Unused substitutes: Leutwiler, Williams, Conway, Palmer.

Goal: Mulgrew pen, 25

Booked: Mulgrew, 19, Bennett, 42

Attendance: 18,035.

Referee: Geoff Eltringham.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block