Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

03 November 2018 Venue Ewood Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - Championship

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Rovers 1 QPR 0

Late Dack spot kick earns all three points for Rovers against the Hoops at Ewood

3 November 2018

Sponsored by

Bradley Dack netted a late penalty on his 50th league start for the club to win the game for Rovers in a tight clash against Queens Park Rangers at a drizzly Ewood Park.

Dack stepped up with just four minutes remaining to win the game for the hosts, calmly slotting past Joe Lumley to ensure Rovers took all three points and climb up to eighth in the Championship table.

In truth, it wasn't a classic encounter against the Hoops, with the game lacking clear chances, but the gritty wins are sometimes the best ones, and this could well be one Rovers look back on fondly come the end of the season.

Tony Mowbray named six changes to the team against the Hoops from the side that started against West Bromwich Albion last week, which included David Raya and Charlie Mulgrew, who weren't fit enough to be named in the squad.

Jayson Leutwiler deputised for Raya as he appeared for the first time this season, with Richie Smallwood returning to his usual midfield role.

A lively start from Rovers should have resulted in the hosts taking the lead inside the opening minute, but after the ball broke his way, one of the returnees in Danny Graham saw Lumley in his way.

At the other end, Burnley loanee Nakhi Wells curled a free kick over the bar in an opening 30 minutes of few chances for both teams.

With half time ticking closer, Luke Freeman latched onto a cleared header but could only slice wide of Leutwiler's goal.

Just before the break, Graham raced through on goal but couldn't get his strike on target as Rovers searched for a slender advantage to take into half time.

Rovers began the second half well and Angel Rangel had to be in the right place at the right time to stop former team-mate Graham from opening the scoring just four minutes into the second half.

Derrick Williams had to be in the right place at the right time to stop Wells' rocket from a nicely worked corner routine from finding the net with under 20 minutes remaining at a drizzly Ewood.

Eberechi Eze then smashed into the Darwen End in his final action of the game as he was then replaced by giant striker Matt Smith.

But with five minutes to go, and with it looking likely the game would end in stalemate, substitute Ben Brereton was taken down in the box, and with no Mulgrew, Dack stepped up to the plate and sent Lumley the wrong way.

All of a sudden the QPR time-wasting stopped as they chased an equaliser in the dying embers of the game, but Rovers managed to see out the threats late on to earn another three point haul.

Rovers: Leutwiler, Bennett (c), Lenihan, Williams, Bell, Evans, Smallwood (Palmer, 63), Reed, Dack, Armstrong (Brereton, 80), Graham (Rothwell, 74).

Unused substitutes: Fisher, Nyambe, Rodwell, Conway.

Booked: Reed, 18, Smallwood, 33, Evans, 55, Brereton, 90

QPR: Lumley, Bidwell, Freeman, Eze (Smith, 76), Scowan (Chair, 86), Luongo, Rangel (Furlong, 86), Wszolek, Wells, Lynch, Leistner (c).

Unused substitutes: Ingram, Hall, Cousins, Osayi-Samuel. 

Booked: Luongo, 3, Eze, 50, Leistner, 65

Referee: Peter Bankes

Attendance: 13,294 (564 away)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block