Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 17:30 (UK)

05 January 2019 Venue St. James' Park Attendance

Kick off 17:30 (UK)

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English FA Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Newcastle United 1 Rovers 1

Rovers boss the game on Tyneside, but will now take on the Toon in a replay at Ewood Park

5 January 2019

A late penalty from Matt Ritchie meant the battle between Rovers and Newcastle United for a spot in the fourth round in the Emirates FA Cup will go to a replay at Ewood Park.

After a fine performance from his side, the draw was what Rovers deserved at the very least after Bradley Dack planted home a header midway through the second half.

But after Corry Evans was penalised after Ayoze Perez fell down in the box, Ritchie stepped up to slam home from 12 yards and take the game to a replay in East Lancashire.

Tony Mowbray made one chane to his lineup for our first FA Cup game of the season, with Craig Conway coming in, in place of Harrison Reed, who dropped to the bench.

Rovers started off well, but David Raya was the first goalkeeper tested when he denied Florian Lejeune's acrobativ effort before the follow up from Kenedy was blocked by the legs of the Spaniard.

At the other end, a smart move saw Conway's cross dummied by Dack, but Danny Graham scuffed the volley and it was easy for Freddie Woodman to claim.

Midway through the half and Raya was again called into action when he beat away Ritchie's drive before Darragh Lenihan got a crucial block to divert the follow up from Joselu out for a corner.

Moving towards half time and Lenihan almost had an impact at the other end of the pitch, but his volley drifted wide of Woodman's right-hand post.

A moment later and a wicked delivery from Charlie Mulgrew saw his inswinging corner just evade Dack and Lenihan at the back post, in the final action of a half that Rovers largely bossed.

Just three minutes after the break and Jacob Murphy, who played under Mowbray at Coventry City, curled over the upright after a good pick out from Ritchie down the left flank.

But before the hour Rovers grabbed a deserved opening goal of the night when Elliott Bennett's superb cross from the right was smashed into the back of the net via the head of Dack.

Rafa Benitez responded by throwing on Jonjo Shelvey in place of Isaac Hayden, and it was Shelvey who nearly grabbed an equaliser just a minute later but Raya was there to hold his downward effort.

It was almost 2-0 on 65 minutes, but Mulgrew's hook towards goal was hacked off the line by Kenedy, as Rovers searched to add to their tally.

At the other end and Rovers were grateful for Graham being in the right place when he smashed off the line after Raya palmed Shelvey's header into the air and Joselu went for goal.

Seconds later and Ritchie cut in from the right before a yellow shirt got a crucial deflection on his low strike at goal, as the Magpies responded to Rovers' dominance.

Time was running out for Newcastle and Lejeune fired a free kick over the bar before the hosts were given a golden chance to equalise from the spot after Corry Evans was adjudged to have taken down substitute Ayoze Perez in the box.

Ritchie stepped up to emphatically drill into the bottom corner to level things up with six minutes of play remaining.

Chances were few and far between after the equaliser, and a replay at Ewood is now on the cards as a result.

Newcastle United: Woodman, Schar, Murphy (Atsu, 75), Ritchie (c), Hayden (Shelvey, 58), Kenedy, Manquillo, Lejeune, Joselu, Sterry, Longstaff (Perez, 80).

Unused substitutes: Harker, Clark, Rondon, Yedlin.

Goal: Ritchie pen, 84.

Booked: Ritchie, 90.

Rovers: Raya, Bennett, Lenihan, Mulgrew (c), Bell, Travis, Evans, Armstrong (Reed, 70), Dack (Williams, 85), Conway, Graham (Brereton, 79).

Unused substitutes: Leutwiler, Nyambe, Rothwell, Downing.

Goal: Dack, 57

Referee: Kevin Friend

Advertisement block

Advertisement block