Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

18 August 2018 Venue KCOM Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - Championship

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Hull City 0 Rovers 1

Deadly Dack the hero as Rovers earn all three points on the banks of the River Humber

18 August 2018

Sponsored by

Bradley Dack's fourth goal of the season was enough as Rovers got off the mark with a first win back in the Championship with a narrow 1-0 victory at Hull City.

The 24-year-old struck just a couple of minutes before half time to seal all three points in the north-east and Rovers thoroughly deserved the victory against the Tigers.

It could - and should - have been more for Rovers, who had their chances, but found David Marshall in fine form throughout the encounter.

Rovers also defended resolutely to protect that lead and will be buoyed by a second successive Championship clean sheet, with David Raya making a sensational stop in the dying moments of the game to keep hold of it.

Tony Mowbray, taking charge of his 600th game in management, named one change to his side from our last league outing against Millwall, with Adam Armstrong rewarded for his brace at Carlisle United on Tuesday night, starting in place of Danny Graham.

A lively start from both sides saw Angus MacDonald test Raya, whilst at the other end, Dack looped a header onto the roof of the net after goalkeeper Marshall parried a Kasey Palmer cross into the playmaker's path.

Rovers were finding their feet, and after Armstrong was denied by Marshall, the duel continued a moment later, with the striker's left-footed attempt testing the Scottish stopper once again.

The chances continued to come, and Dack worked an excellent opportunity but Marshall was there to deny again and the danger was cleared.

After a lull, home skipper Markus Henriksen went for goal from range but the Norweigan saw his effort drift past Raya's right-hand post.

With just two minutes before the break, Rovers took the lead as Dack made it four goals in four games; getting ahead of his man at the front post and tucking home from close range after Elliott Bennett's inch-perfect cross from the right.

It was richly deserved for the visitors, who had largely bossed the game, and Dack continued his excellent form in front of goal for the week.

The second half began as lively as the first, and Raya has to deny Jackson Irvine on 54 minutes after the Australia international weaved his way through a few challenges.

The impressive Dack was forced off just shy of the hour with what looked liked a knee injury, with Graham replacing the Rovers number 23.

This resulted in the powerful striker taking up the lone striker role, with Armstrong taking up Dack's vacant slot in part of the attacking trio behind.

Dack's substitution didn't put Rovers out of stride, and Palmer linked up well with Amari'i Bell before going for goal, but Marshall was once again in the way and kept the score as it was.

With 20 minutes to go, Bennett missed a glorious chance to add a second for Rovers, but after Armstrong's effort was parried into his path, the winger somehow skewed wide from 12 yards.

Rovers were creating the chances, and Graham almost made it 2-0 with 11 minutes remaining, but after Darragh Lenihan's header back across goal picked out the striker, his header was instinctively palmed away from danger by the impressive Marshall.

Graham again went close moments later, but after squeezing a yard between Todd Kane and MacDonald, his curling effort flew a couple of yards just over the upright.

At the other end, substitute Nouha Dicko saw Richie Smallwood in the way of his strike before Raya produced a wonder save to stop MacDonald from equalising with a header with just four minutes remaining.

Things were getting nervy as the clock slowly ticked down, with Hull throwing everything at the Rovers backline in search of an equaliser, but Mowbray's men were standing firm, and after six minutes of added time, the team returned to East Lancashire with all three points for their efforts.

Don't forget, Rovers are back in action on Wednesday 22nd August when Reading head to Ewood Park and you can get tickets for the clash against the Royals by clicking here.

Hull City: Marshall, Lichaj, De Wijs, Evandro, MacDonald, Irvine, Kane, Bowen (Milinkovic, 72), Henriksen (c), Kingsley (Toral, 29), Campbell (Dicko, 72).

Unused substitutes: Long, Stewart, Keane, Curry.

Booked: Evandro, 68

Rovers: Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew (c), Bell, Evans, Smallwood, Bennett, Dack (Graham, 58), Palmer (Travis, 67), Armstrong (Rothwell, 78).

Unused substitutes: Leutwiler, Samuel, Downing, Conway.

Goals: Dack, 43

Booked: Evans, 47, Lenihan, 51, Nyambe, 60

Referee: David Coote

Attendance: 12,233 (1,084 away)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block