Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy tickets
17 October 2017 Venue Ewood Park Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Rovers 1 Plymouth 1

The Blues are held to a frustrating draw, despite several chances

17 October 2017

Missed chances proved costly as Rovers were held to a 1-1 draw by Plymouth Argyle at Ewood Park.

After a bright start from the hosts, it was the visitors who opened the scoring just past the half-hour mark when Graham Carey's stunning strike found the far corner.

Rovers equalised on the stroke of half-time when Danny Graham played in Bradley Dack, who coolly converted his second goal of the season. 

Tony Mowbray's men totally dominated the second half, creating chance after chance, but a combination of wayward finishing and gutsy defending earned the Pilgrims a point.

Ahead of the game, Mowbray made three changes to the side that lost 1-0 at Oldham on Saturday.

Ryan Nyambe, Dack and Graham came into side at the expense of Elliott Ward, Craig Conway and Dominic Samuel.

There were a couple of familiar faces in the visitors' line-up, as former Rovers defenders Yann Songo'o and Ryan Edwards started against their old club.

Rovers lined up with Nyambe partnering Charlie Mulgrew at the heart of the back four and the defensive duo almost combined for the opening goal inside five minutes.

Mulgrew whipped in a corner from the right and the unmarked Nyambe skied his shot over the bar from six yards out.

Rovers threatened from another corner a few minutes later, as Plymouth failed to clear their lines and Peter Whittingham fired a crisp strike from the edge of the area inches over the bar.

Plymouth registered their first effort of the game on 12 minutes as Joel Grant's long-range drive deflected off Nyambe and whistled just past the post.

Rovers carved out another decent opening on 18 minutes, as Paul Caddis set the ball back for Elliott Bennett to cross, but Dack couldn't keep his header down in the centre.

Sixty seconds later and Derrick Williams sent over an inviting cross from the left, but again Dack couldn't direct his header on target.

On 28 minutes, Marcus Antonsson broke free down the left, before cutting the ball back to Graham. His shot was blocked and Richie Smallwood blazed the rebound just over the bar. 

Against the run of play, Plymouth opened the scoring just past the half-hour mark. Carey wriggled past a couple of Rovers players, before rifling a sweet left-foot strike into the far corner from the edge of the area.

Rovers looked to hit straight back and they almost did through Bennett's dipping volley, but the ball grazed the roof of the net.

As the half drew to a close, Dack saw an effort blocked at one end, whilst David Fox fired straight into the arms of David Raya at the other. 

Then, in the second minute of added time, Rovers drew level. Graham played a clever ball through to Dack, who drilled a low shot through the legs of Kyle Letheren and into the back of the net.

The summer signing from Gillingham almost grabbed a second moments later, but he dragged his left-foot shot just wide of the far post.

Plymouth were forced into a change at the break, as Michael Cooper replaced Letheren in goal and it was the visitors who had the first chance of the second half, with Grant seeing a shot saved by Raya.

Rovers then laid seige to the Plymouth goal, creating no fewer than six opportunities in a dominant 10-minute spell.

On 55 minutes, Caddis picked out Antonsson unmarked at the back post, but he blazed over the upright when he had more time to pick his spot.

Another good chance went begging two minutes later as Bennett floated over a cross from the right and Graham headed over from close range.

The chances kept on coming, as Caddis cut the ball back to Dack, who saw his shot deflect inches over the bar, before Whittingham then failed to hit the target from the edge of the area.

On 63 minutes, a ball into the box dropped kindly for Caddis, whose goal-bound effort deflected just wide and moments later, Antonsson saw a shot from the angle deflect over the woodwork.

Rovers rolled the dice, bringing on Harry Chapman for Smallwood soon after, and he was immediately involved, dancing past three Plymouth players, as he burst into the box, but his near-post cross was cut out by the substitute keeper. 

Having been camped in their own half for an eternity, Plymouth were content to play on the counter and their plan almost paid off on 76 minutes, as Carey broke free down the right, before seeing his swerving shot superbly saved by Raya.

On 83 minutes, Rovers went close again, as Whittingham delivered a corner from the left and Williams' powerful header forced a fine fingertip save from Cooper. 

Whittingham was replaced by Ben Gladwin a minute later and the substitute almost won it for Rovers with virtually the last kick of the game.

In the fourth and final minute of added time, Dominic Samuel's centre fell kindly at his feet, but Gladwin's close-range effort was somehow kept out, with the ball looping up onto the roof of the net.

From the resultant Chapman corner, Antonsson's header was saved by Cooper at his near posr, as Rovers were forced to settle for a point.  

ROVERS: Raya, Caddis, Nyambe, Mulgrew, Williams, Smallwood (Chapman 68), Whittingham (Gladwin 84), Bennett, Antonsson, Dack (Samuel 76), Graham. 
Subs not used: Leutwiler, Hart, Harper, Conway.

Booked: Smallwood.
Goal: Dack (45+2)

PLYMOUTH: Letheren (Cooper 46), Sawyer, Songo'o, Edwards, Carey, Jervis (Blissett 86), Bradley, Grant, Taylor-Sinclair, Fox, Diagouraga.
Subs not used: Ainsworth, Sokolik, Wylde, Fletcher, Sangster.

Goal: Carey (31) 

Attendance: 10,011 (415)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block