As a key element of the Football League's strategy to develop the game of Futsal, Blackburn Rovers Community Trust is introducing the exciting and innovative two-year programme, which starts in September.
It is a unique opportunity for any 16 to 18-year-old male football fan to study at Ewood Park and become a Blackburn Rovers Futsal player.
“I’m a big fan of Futsal," said Bowyer. It’s something that we introduced at the Academy a while ago now and we have enjoyed success at tournament level. The technical benefits of it are massive.
“The Football League are right behind it and Futsal is definitely something that’s going to come more and more into the English game and we’re delighted that our Community Trust can be part of the 2014-15 Football League Futsal season.
"It's great to see that our Community Trust has delivered a successful BTEC Education and Futsal programme last year and have chosen to expand the project for the 2014-15 season.
"Having met last year's scholars several times, they've only had positive things to say about the course. For a group of lads, who are of mixed footballing ability, to come together not knowing each other, are on course to finish second in the Football League Futsal League in their first season and succeed in attaining BTEC qualifications at the same time is a fantastic achievement.
"They represent us (Rovers) with real passion and enthusiasm and we're really proud of them.
"If any 16 to 18-year-old is thinking of going to college to study, then I highly recommend you contact our Community Trust and find out more about our Futsal and Education programme."
It doesn't matter if you have already enrolled on a college course, it's still not too late to join Blackburn Rovers' Football League Futsal and Education programme! We have spaces available on our BTEC Level 2 and 3 courses.
This programme is not about finding elite players. It is for young adults of mixed abilities, aged 16-18, who want to play football for the pride of Lancashire, Blackburn Rovers and gain a first-class education at the same time.
During the scholarship, students can earn qualifications that will help gain employment in the sport and leisure industry – possibly even with Blackburn Rovers.
Participants will also train and compete for Blackburn Rovers in a professional Futsal environment against other professional clubs in the Football League.
Unsure of what course you want to study at college? Then no longer be unsure… Check this out!
Benefits of becoming a Blackburn Rovers Futsal player:
• A first-class education and a BTEC level 2 in Sport or a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport (equivalent of up to 3 A-Levels).
• Professional sports coaching by Blackburn Rovers Community Trust coaches and ex-professional footballers.
• Strong, well-established exit routes into university/foundation degrees.
In addition, each player will:
• Receive official Blackburn Rovers training wear, play in official Rovers match kits and have their own squad number.
• Qualify to compete in the official Football League sponsored Futsal League, against clubs including Burnley, Blackpool, Preston North End and Accrington Stanley, to name just a few.
• Travel to fixtures in comfort and style on a Rovers bus.
• Gain work opportunities with Blackburn Rovers Community Trust and/or in the sport and leisure industry.
• Be given the opportunity to undertake a variety of coaching and refereeing qualifications.
• Watch the Blackburn Rovers first team play in Championship matches at Ewood Park.
• Get the opportunity to meet Rovers first team players.
• Become part of Blackburn Rovers – representing the club through education and sport.
Every person who joins Blackburn Rovers' Futsal and Education programme will receive high-quality Futsal training for a minimum of six-to-eight hours per week. Training will be supplemented with fortnightly fixtures against other professional clubs.
The course is based at Ewood Park in the Blackburn Rovers Indoor Centre and the Darwen End Education Centre, with all of the matches taking place at the regional Futsal centre in Leeds.
On completion of either course, players will have the opportunity to prove their ability to become a Futsal player in the Football League Futsal National League and the team that wins the League will jet off to Spain to play against Barcelona or Real Madrid!
What is the course?
• Full-time one or two-year course based at Ewood Park - the home of Blackburn Rovers.
• Level 2 or Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport – Equivalent to 3 A-Levels.
• Minimum of 8 hours of directed education per week.
• Minimum of 6-8 hours of 5-a-side Futsal per week, including training and matches.
• Males aged 16 to 18 (female recruitment coming soon!).
• Level 2 course - GCSEs A* to C (or equivalent) in English and at least two other subjects.
• Level 3 course - GCSEs A*to C (or equivalent) in English, maths and at least two other subject.
To become a Blackburn Rovers Futsal Scholar or for further information, please contact Blackburn Rovers Community Trust on 01254 296256
or email email@example.com
to see the Futsal and Education programme in action at Exeter City.
Training at Ewood Park
One of the many learning resource centres at Ewood
Recreational area at the Indoor Centre